LOTS of Coaches out recruiting at games!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 11, 2010
Quick funny story - one time I was getting gas between games and wound up chatting between the pumps with the head coach of a prominent TB team we had played the day before. He was very complimentary of my DDs pitching performance during that game and wound up taking down her contact info to pass along to college coaches since his pitchers were all already committed. It was super nice of him; I couldn’t believe my luck.

You never know where your lucky break might come from. Stay open-minded and flexible.
I used to coach with a guy that was not popular with opposing teams. He ran a regional exposure tournament. I can’t tell you how many times we would be walking through a complex and he would grab a college coach and say “hey have you seen so and so from team______. She’s a great kid too”. A lot of the parents from those teams would say “My kid would never play for that jerk” if you asked them.

Also my dd was recruited not because of the head of the Big Name Org she was part of. She was recruited because of a conversation the college coach had with a former coach of a team we left after the end of one season. I remained friends with him and he helped my daughter out when he had an opportunity.

Softball is a small, small world. You can’t afford to burn bridges that you don’t need to. Yes, there are some very small people in it but there are also a lot of people with hearts of gold. They can be hard to pick out sometimes.

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2013
Texas
A Dad called me yesterday after his DD attended an on campus camp of her number 1 target school. We were texting back and forth and I asked if she is in the "prospect" group or the "suspect" group. I asked him a couple of other questions and I made some statements about what would happen at this camp. He said, Dude everything you said was true and it happened as you said it would happen. I feel like I was the experienced dad even though we just started this.

She was in the Prospect camp and pitched against this school's current committed/signed players. After the camp was over they ended up getting a bite to eat and the retired coach who was working the camp showed up too. That retired coach (who also won a WCWS) chatted with his DD and got to talk about pitching and so forth. That conversation could be one of the most important conversations she has up to this time her softball journey. He could report back to the HC and say that kid is a great kid and is level headed, and Dad is great too! At least he hopes so.

It's amazing how things can get crazy in such a short period of time. I already shared the story about this kid. Back in April they were on an okay team and she hadn't done much of anything for recruiting. They switched to a way better team that is a perfect fit for her with the right coaches. Here they are in June only 2 months removed from our conversation about recruiting. The HC of that school knows her name and they have been watching her for the past 3 tourneys and she is talking one on one with the retired HC of that school. I asked him, could you have imagined you would be in this place 2 months ago? Absolutely Not. Enjoy the ride my friend.

Nov 5, 2014
We had zero college coaches at our 12U B tournament this weekend. I'm going to go yell at the coach now. She's really letting us down. :(

This reminds me of a funny recruiting story. DD is a 2022 so her recruiting journey began before the Sept 1 JR year rule was in effect. She plays on a pretty good team from the northeast and her coach decided to expose them to a higher level of competition when they were 12u. That started with travelling to Georgia for the Veterans Tribute Showcase in the fall.

We walk up to the field on Saturday morning and there is a game going on between the Georgia Impact 04 and Birmingham Thunderbolts 04. Remember this is a 12u game. Standing behind the backstop are coaches from Florida, Auburn, Georgia, Tennessee, FSU, Kentucky, Ole Miss, GA Tech and many others. The backstop area is so crowded that Mid Major coaches like Fordham are relegated to standing back by the concession/bathroom building because there is not enough room for them and apparently they know the pecking order. My jaw about hit the ground and I turned to my buddy and said welcome to real softball. I will never forget that scene.

Jul 31, 2015
This reminds me of a funny recruiting story. DD is a 2022 so her recruiting journey began before the Sept 1 JR year rule was in effect. She plays on a pretty good team from the northeast and her coach decided to expose them to a higher level of competition when they were 12u. That started with travelling to Georgia for the Veterans Tribute Showcase in the fall.

We walk up to the field on Saturday morning and there is a game going on between the Georgia Impact 04 and Birmingham Thunderbolts 04. Remember this is a 12u game. Standing behind the backstop are coaches from Florida, Auburn, Georgia, Tennessee, FSU, Kentucky, Ole Miss, GA Tech and many others. The backstop area is so crowded that Mid Major coaches like Fordham are relegated to standing back by the concession/bathroom building because there is not enough room for them and apparently they know the pecking order. My jaw about hit the ground and I turned to my buddy and said welcome to real softball. I will never forget that scene.

Reminds me of the time my DD pitched against Lexi Sosa at DDs first-ever showcase. 14U. There must have been 150 coaches in the stands watching Lexi, who’s lights out and can hit bombs. I was absolutely clueless; I thought they were all just regular fans.

Jun 8, 2016

and people wonder why they changed the recruiting rules (actually I don’t think anybody wonders..)

Apr 9, 2020
They didn't know Miami doesn't play softball?
I am almost always wearing USC hat or shirt or something, never had that issue at softball events because everyone knows USC doesn't softball

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
nope... I think the guy was just in the mode of make sure all coaches are taken care of.. I wasn't gonna spoil my luck by having unobstructed view and in the shade...I didn't take any food though..

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ying