Lotief?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 17, 2012
Missing are the photos of the 19 or 20 players who sat in on an interview in support of Coach Lotief. Missing also is the petition that a vast majority of the players signed.

Why can't both be true? He was a great coach and mentor to a majority of players but was (allegedly) a bully and abuser to and handful of players. If that's true he should have been fired. You can't do that in a position of leadership.

There are (still) former players of Bob Knight that swear by him as a coach.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Having seen targets of abuse, it absolutely is not pertinent to say "Well, that never happened to me." Abusers pick certain people. They might stick with one person over a period of years. I don't care if 20 people say he did not abuse them. If he abused one, that is one too many.

I once told the head coach (female) at my DD's school, that male coach M, pulled me forcefully towards him and locked me in a bear hug. She said "Well, he has never done that to me." That is not the right answer, ever.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
Cannonball

I am curious do you believe that he may have brought some this upon himself by carrying a 28+ team roster year after year?

I don't know what happened. I posted my last comment because, as some of you have seen on other sites, there are approximately 20 girls sitting in on a conference supporting him. Sure, having a bunch of players on a roster matters to some point with discontent. In HS terms, there is the adage that you never keep a senior unless they are going to play because you are asking for trouble. I understand that there is a player who is clearly upset. The have been comments made that she is now being "protected" from her teammates. Why? Clearly there are a large number of players out of that roster that don't agree with her. Of course, there are bound to be several lawsuits filed and we will all know what really happened some time from now. Players have already started posting that they are upset about what has happened and are leaving the school. They will surely have more to say as well.

Edited to add:

This past year, I had a parent and player upset at me. The claims made were totally untrue. Things like I attacked the player in a team meeting. Not only did I not attack her, my "attack" was because I pointed out that we needed to support her. That was somehow construed into we needed to support her because she made an error. The player was down on herself at that time and I was trying to pick her up. I was shocked that this was turned around into an attack by me. I was accused of cussing at the players. I haven't said 10 curse words in the past 10 years. Parents were then asked about my "behaviors" on the field. I am intense. I am also very powerful. Apparently, the vast majority of parents supported me. Still, the one that doesn't somehow puts my job in jeopardy. I could go on and on. Hitting the balls too hard at this one player in practice, praising others to embarrass her, ... It was mind blowing what I had to sit and listen to. So, I stood up at the end, said my piece and then walked out letting them know that if they want my resignation, ask for it. The HC was unfairly attacked as well for things she never did. Not once and never thought of doing.

Edited to add further:

I went and took all of the various info on these sites and then took a look at the roster. Having taken an interest in this, it wasn't hard determining who that player is. I wonder why that player continued to play for ULL? I wonder why the parents allowed her to continue playing at that school? If my daughter was coming home with these types of stories, I can guarantee you she would not have continued to play there.

Last edited:

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
Why can't both be true? He was a great coach and mentor to a majority of players but was (allegedly) a bully and abuser to and handful of players. If that's true he should have been fired. You can't do that in a position of leadership.

There are (still) former players of Bob Knight that swear by him as a coach.

I know a few personally. So, sure it can be both. The rub then is just how accurate the info is on what was said to one. We'll find out in the long run as I am sure Coach Lotief will sue. He is a lawyer himself.

Feb 16, 2015
South East
I don't know what happened. I posted my last comment because, as some of you have seen on other sites, there are approximately 20 girls sitting in on a conference supporting him. Sure, having a bunch of players on a roster matters to some point with discontent. In HS terms, there is the adage that you never keep a senior unless they are going to play because you are asking for trouble. I understand that there is a player who is clearly upset. The have been comments made that she is now being "protected" from her teammates. Why? Clearly there are a large number of players out of that roster that don't agree with her. Of course, there are bound to be several lawsuits filed and we will all know what really happened some time from now. Players have already started posting that they are upset about what has happened and are leaving the school. They will surely have more to say as well.

Edited to add:

This past year, I had a parent and player upset at me. The claims made were totally untrue. Things like I attacked the player in a team meeting. Not only did I not attack her, my "attack" was because I pointed out that we needed to support her. That was somehow construed in that we needed to support her because he made an error. The player was done on herself at that time. I was shocked that this was turned around into this attack on me. I was accused of cussing at the players. I haven't said 10 curse words in the past 10 years. Parents were then asked about my "behaviors" on the field. I am intense. I am also very powerful. Apparently, the vast majority of parents supported me. Still, the one that doesn't somehow puts my job in jeopardy. I could go on and on. Hitting the balls to hard at this one player in practice, praising others to embarrass her, ... It was mind blowing what I had to sit and listen to. So, I stood up at the end, said my piece and then walked out letting them know that if they want my resignation, ask for it. The HC was unfairly attacked as well for things she never did. Not once and never thought of doing.

I was just curious on your thoughts about the question it really had nothing to do with Micheal but coaching in general. After your response about players being sour towards their coach for not receiving playing time had me thinking why in the world would anyone want to carry so many girls. This past season they had 31 players on the roster and I have seen it as high as 34 in the last few years. I understand you need need more than 12 girls but 30+ just seems to be asking for trouble.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
I was just curious on your thoughts about the question it really had nothing to do with Micheal but coaching in general. After your response about players being sour towards their coach for not receiving playing time had me thinking why in the world would anyone want to carry so many girls. This past season they had 31 players on the roster and I have seen it as high as 34 in the last few years. I understand you need need more than 12 girls but 30+ just seems to be asking for trouble.

I agree. I don't know why anyone would do that but I am guessing it has to do with the boy's team keeping mid 30s. Just a hunch but I have noting to back that with.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania

Edited to add:

This past year, I had a parent and player upset at me. The claims made were totally untrue. Things like I attacked the player in a team meeting. Not only did I not attack her, my "attack" was because I pointed out that we needed to support her. That was somehow construed in that we needed to support her because he made an error. The player was done on herself at that time. I was shocked that this was turned around into this attack on me. I was accused of cussing at the players. I haven't said 10 curse words in the past 10 years. Parents were then asked about my "behaviors" on the field. I am intense. I am also very powerful. Apparently, the vast majority of parents supported me. Still, the one that doesn't somehow puts my job in jeopardy. I could go on and on. Hitting the balls to hard at this one player in practice, praising others to embarrass her, ... It was mind blowing what I had to sit and listen to. So, I stood up at the end, said my piece and then walked out letting them know that if they want my resignation, ask for it. The HC was unfairly attacked as well for things she never did. Not once and never thought of doing.

Edited to add further:

I went and took all of the various info on these sites and then took a look at the roster. Having taken an interest in this, it wasn't hard determining who that player is. I wonder why that player continued to play for ULL? I wonder why the parents allowed her to continue playing at that school? If my daughter was coming home with these types of stories, I can guarantee you she would not have continued to play there.

I have also seen how some high school coaches are treated. The head coach for DDs program has been under attack since she was hired. She is knowledgeable, has passion for the game, and treats her players very well in my opinion. She played at the college level, so she has some experience that none of the other candidates possessed. However, one of the other candidates happened to be a teacher and the aunt of one of the players. So this player has tried repeatedly to get the coach fired. Filing complaint after complaint with the school board. Every so often the athletic director, principal, or both attend practices or games to see exactly what is going on. The coach has their support, but the school board and others are constantly investigating her for something. I know her personally so I know the entire situation is stressful and frustrating for her. It is because of situations like this that I really have no interest in coaching at the high school level. I have been offered two positions so far (unsolicited by me), and have turned them both down. I cite my job responsibilities as the reason, but all of this other garbage is a huge factor as well.

As far as Lotief is concerned, I am not personally familiar with the situation. If the allegations are true, then he should be fired. But based on the amount of support he has, they should fully investigate everything before making any final decision. Unfortunately that doesn't always happen.

May 17, 2012
they should fully investigate everything before making any final decision. Unfortunately that doesn't always happen.

Well they put him on administrative leave and then fired him so you can assume that the AD and University did their due diligence. You would assume that the university knows lawyers will be involved so they must feel pretty secure in their decision. The other thought is that they are just covering their rear "just in case" or there is some sort of issue with the Titile IX stuff.

As cannonball referenced assuming Lotief is innocent would you really want work for a university or AD that was so easily influenced by false allegations?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ceez12