Lotief?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

SB45

Dad, Coach, Chauffeur
Sep 2, 2016
Western NY
Seems like a power struggle...he went to the University assuming he had all the power...claiming unfair treatment for the girls program, and wanting more. He was probably right, but ULL didn't cave in...they decided to cut him. They had players document some instances of abuse and used those as the excuse. The players allegations are pretty convincing. They also read like a collaborative writing exercise...like 3 girls sitting in a room at the same time writing their recollection of several instances..even in the same order. Seems clear he was abusive to at least a few players at some point in time, maybe more...ULL probably put up with it for a while knowing they had an Ace up their sleeves if/when they needed it.

Jun 8, 2016
True, somewhat relevant personal experience story.

First day of lecture had a student come into my class and leave after about 10 minutes. Obviously was in the wrong class. I joked to the class that this was the quickest anybody had dropped my class...whole class laughs. Only time I mentioned dropping a class the whole semester. Fast forward 4 months later and many dropped courses, D's and F's later. Number of students petition to get their grade changed. Reason given was that the course material that I chose was too difficult and that I wanted the kids to fail. Cited me joking about students dropping the course as example of me not caring about the students. Students win petition final panel writeup basically states that I set up the course so that kids would fail (even though there were a few A's and B's out of 35 kids, 2 of these kids ask me for a recommendation saying they learned the most they ever learned in that class). Fast forward a year later, during my post-tenure review Dean brings this up and states that I need to do a professional development plan to address the teaching issues brought up by the panel. Says, if I refuse to do one they will try to implement severe sanctions on me, which could include pay cut and possible tenure abrogation. It should be noted that I have butted heads with this Dean before. I walked out of a faculty meeting in which he was speaking, well within my right, after he made some obviously untrue statements. Following this he actually called me in to his office to confront me as to why I walked out. I told him his comments in the meeting were lies and I didn't want to sit through anymore of them so I left. Anyway, I reluctantly agree to the plan since my wife doesn't work and with 2 small kids I cannot afford a pay cut. First semester which the plan was implemented I teach the same course for which I received the complaints. I now have two "teaching experts" review, e.g. sit in on my course, as part of the development plan. Along with this I have to get periodic feedback from students during the semester. I decide I am going to teach the same exact material, in the same exact manner but be much more lenient with my grading as to relieve myself of any hassles. Result is much better grades. Now according to both the "teaching experts" and students I am one of the best instructors they have seen, even though my lectures and material is exactly the same. Only difference is the grades given.

If Lotief indeed did all of the things which were stated he should never be allowed near a softball field again. However I hope the administration made sure that the allegations were true and did not only rely on statements from 20 year olds whose frontal cortexes, e.g. the part of the brain which controls rational thought, are not completely developed yet.

Last edited:
Aug 19, 2015
Atlanta, GA
Pattar, I feel your pain. i teach college online and have had similar types of experiences. The good thing about teaching online is that ALL of my communication with students is documented in writing (I refuse to do phone calls with students for that very reason). I write emails defensively with the thought in mind that any email is fair game to be reviewed by an Appeals committee, my supervisor, or whatever bureaucrat could have decision-making power over my future. Knock wood, I haven't been questioned about anything up to this point (10 years in). In a situation like yours, it sucks to "dumb down" a class, but you have to look out for yourself.

Back to the subject, if I were a male coach, I would never be alone with a female player, especially in a locker room or even in a dugout. From what I've read so far (I have no opinion on this coach one way or the other), it sounds like there was some inappropriate behavior with some girls. As others have pointed out, bullies don't bully everyone they meet, only the ones they think they can get away with bullying. So if 20 girls say he didn't and 5 girls say he did, I don't think that is grounds to dismiss what the five are saying. Regardless, someone high up wanted him gone and wanted it done quickly.

Jun 8, 2016
In a situation like yours, it sucks to "dumb down" a class, but you have to look out for yourself.
It does suck because now kids who really know the material well enough to get an A get grouped in with the others who probably should have received a B at best. For the most part, the administration doesn't really care about the quality of education and is more
interested in keeping the students, e.g. the consumers, e.g. the future donors, happy. Whatever.. I don't have the energy or wherewithal to fight that battle anymore.

Aug 19, 2015
Atlanta, GA
It does suck because now kids who really know the material well enough to get an A get grouped in with the others who probably should have received a B at best. For the most part, the administration doesn't really care about the quality of education and is more
interested in keeping the students, e.g. the consumers, e.g. the future donors, happy. Whatever.. I don't have the energy or wherewithal to fight that battle anymore.

It's the wave of the future. They're making us get rid of textbooks and use free "OER's" (Open Educational Resources). And making us jump through ridiculous hoops regarding "student retention and persistence" (e.g., avoiding drops and their $$).

Nov 16, 2015
CMMom, I left the traditional classroom and joined the online world as well. I am currently a principal of an online k-12 school. We record all phone calls and written messages are documented as well. Its a great safety net. I often joke with friends of mine in traditional school what a great tool it is. I can read/listen to every conversation and make a decision based on that. It eliminates the "he said - she said" element.

Its pretty crazy the number of applicants we get for openings. Basically, all because they want out of the classroom but remain in education.

Jun 8, 2016
It's the wave of the future. They're making us get rid of textbooks and use free "OER's" (Open Educational Resources). And making us jump through ridiculous hoops regarding "student retention and persistence" (e.g., avoiding drops and their $$).

My university:

OU Sets All-Time High Retention Record

Increasing retention is great if it doesn't degrade quality..not sure that is totally possible unfortunately.

Sorry for the off-topic rant..I will stop now :rolleyes:

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
Well they put him on administrative leave and then fired him so you can assume that the AD and University did their due diligence. You would assume that the university knows lawyers will be involved so they must feel pretty secure in their decision. The other thought is that they are just covering their rear "just in case" or there is some sort of issue with the Titile IX stuff.

As cannonball referenced assuming Lotief is innocent would you really want work for a university or AD that was so easily influenced by false allegations?

In the business world (and don't think for a second that college athletics is not a business), many decisions are made purely based on monetary implications. Depending on what the allegations are, some companies will choose to cut ties rather than dealing with negative publicity. Often guilt or innocence is not the overriding factor. But like I said before, I know nothing about the situation with Lotief, so his departure could very well be justified.

ian

Jun 11, 2015

Cant wait until they do this for public schools. So many good teachers giving good lessons on video.

Jun 8, 2016
Cant wait until they do this for public schools. So many good teachers giving good lessons on video.

I agree that this may be a model which will help decrease costs in the future, in particular for higher education in the sciences and engineering
where many (very good) free lectures are available online. With this model the role of most professors in the teaching portion of their jobs would change
from a provider of information to more of a learning facilitator, e.g. someone who is much more available to answer questions, oftentimes in a more intimate setting.
This already is done to some extent with so called "flipped classrooms" where the students are expected to prepare for a lecture ahead of time
and then come to the classroom ready to ask questions/discuss the material. This does, however, rely on the student being mature enough
to do the work ahead of time.

Of course at the moment there is nothing stopping a student from using these online resources to enhance their learning
even if they are still "forced" to sit in a lecture.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CentralCoastBulldogs