loss of pitching speed going from 10u to 12u??

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 11, 2009
Would someone tell me if there is a loss of pitched ball speed for pitchers going from 10u to 12u and changing from 11" too 12" ball? If so what kind of speed loss is there and what is average time to make it up? Pitching rubber goes from 35' to 40'? Thanks

Feb 5, 2010
tmolina,
There will be some loss of speed going up and it will be noticable. My DD started the switch 6 months ago and has been working on it all winter and it is still noticable. Your talking about an oz. and then 5 feet. I don't think you can put an average time on it. All of these kids differ is size and ablitiy. The good news is that there will be others going up who will be in the same boat.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Yep. I am finding the MPH lost is 5-7. I don't have a radar gun. I use a gloveradar, which is about $80.00, but it gives my students a number to work with.

Oct 19, 2009
beyond the fences
To the best of my memory, my DD was at around 45 with the 11 when she changed to
the bigger ball. Her speed dropped 3-4 MPH, IMHO due more to the increase to 40'.
It took her about 7-10 weeks to get back to speed. Now 18 months later, she is almost 13,
Her average last time she was gunned was 54 with a high pitch of 57 low of 51.. Once she got to around 47 mph,
the increase has been less dramatic, but she continues to improve

Mar 15, 2010
tmolina,

A couple of questions.

1) Have you confirmed that your pitcher has actually lost speed? For example, when my DD moved from 10U to 12U we confirmed with the radar gun that her actual release speed did not change. The extra weight of the ball did not slow her arm speed. The extra 5 feet in pitching distance, however, meant that the ball was crossing the plate 1 - 2 mph slower than if she was pitching at 35'. End result is a pitch that used to cross the plate at 45 mph was now coming in closer to 43 mph.

2) Have you noticed any change in your pitchers arm delivery? I had a first year 12U a couple of years ago that began a very subtle side arm delivery when she moved to the 12" ball and lost 2 - 4 mph in speed. We took video and in slow motion were able to identify and point out to her what she was doing differently. By having her focus on proper windmill delivery we were able to regain her speed in about a month and 2 months later she had picked up 1 -2 mph.

I hope this helps.

Dec 10, 2008
MY DD lost 3mph and regained it within a month. Best thing to do is practice with a bigger ball early to stretch hands, then the change seems to be less noticeable.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Yes, to what NWIT said. I have my older 10 YOs use a 12 inch ball from time to time and we always increase the pitching distance during lessons, anyway.

I have 14 and 16 inch balls that 12 YO and up, pitch with for ball control and just to have fun.

WiZ

Feb 11, 2010
MY DD lost 3mph and regained it within a month. Best thing to do is practice with a bigger ball early to stretch hands, then the change seems to be less noticeable.

My daughter will be 10u for the upcoming season. She has spent all of this winter throwing from 40 ft and with a 12 inch ball. For some reason she was able to stay pretty true to her speeds. She has big hands so the ball size didnt really make that mch difference. So, I guess I would also have to agree that alot will depend on the size of your daughter. We havent went back to the 11 inch ball yet but Im wondering if she'll be a bit faster than we're getting with her right now.

Mar 11, 2009
tmolina,

A couple of questions.

1) Have you confirmed that your pitcher has actually lost speed? For example, when my DD moved from 10U to 12U we confirmed with the radar gun that her actual release speed did not change. The extra weight of the ball did not slow her arm speed. The extra 5 feet in pitching distance, however, meant that the ball was crossing the plate 1 - 2 mph slower than if she was pitching at 35'. End result is a pitch that used to cross the plate at 45 mph was now coming in closer to 43 mph.

My daughter is in her last season of 10u and I was just thinking ahead, she hasn't pitched with 12" ball yet.

2) Have you noticed any change in your pitchers arm delivery? I had a first year 12U a couple of years ago that began a very subtle side arm delivery when she moved to the 12" ball and lost 2 - 4 mph in speed. We took video and in slow motion were able to identify and point out to her what she was doing differently. By having her focus on proper windmill delivery we were able to regain her speed in about a month and 2 months later she had picked up 1 -2 mph.

I hope this helps.

Right now we are still refining her mechanics and she is learning rise ball mechanics, but thats the only time she changes delivery....I want to incorporate video feedback but as of yet haven't done that. Thanks for feedback...TM

Dec 10, 2008
My daughter will be 10u for the upcoming season. She has spent all of this winter throwing from 40 ft and with a 12 inch ball. For some reason she was able to stay pretty true to her speeds. She has big hands so the ball size didnt really make that mch difference. So, I guess I would also have to agree that alot will depend on the size of your daughter. We havent went back to the 11 inch ball yet but Im wondering if she'll be a bit faster than we're getting with her right now.

I found that switching works best. With the 11" a little lighter and smaller they get start throwing higher off the bat. Watch mixing balls and distance. I would make sure you get back to 35 and 11 to get plenty of practice before games start.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OAFSoftballMom#1