Looking for some tips, tricks, ideas to help daughter

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 20, 2018
Daughter is a pitcher and has developed a nasty habit of bullet spin. When I watch her throw in slow motion I can see her turn her hand just before release. Her fingers move from being behind the ball to being on the side (leading with the pinky) . It has totally destroyed her drop ball since the spin is all wrong.

Has anyone encountered this problem and if so, do you have any advice for how to fix the issue. Is it just a matter of slowing down and retraining the muscles?

Thanks in advance.

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
Do you happen to have any video? It’s confusing to hear that her hand starts behind the ball, then moves inside. Are you saying the hand starts under the ball coming into release, then moves inside?

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
Has anyone encountered this problem and if so, do you have any advice for how to fix the issue. Is it just a matter of slowing down and retraining the muscles?

Thanks in advance.

Yes—move up to whatever distance it takes to get the desired spin, then slowly add distance and effort. Spin awareness is critical. Initially, it helps to darken the seams on the ball to better see the axis.

javasource uses over correction to help this process of spin and body awareness. Throw the ball with the axis alternating as visible on the right, then left. Increase distance and effort until she can throw dot right, dot left and perpendicular (drop) from any distance.

Nov 25, 2012
USA
Daughter is a pitcher and has developed a nasty habit of bullet spin. When I watch her throw in slow motion I can see her turn her hand just before release. Her fingers move from being behind the ball to being on the side (leading with the pinky) . It has totally destroyed her drop ball since the spin is all wrong.

Thanks in advance.
Not sure about being behind the ball vs. leading with the pinky. In other words, your daughter is starting to pitch correctly, so not sure you want to change that. @Ken B asked some good questions (as always) and we (DFP) can help you out.

Post a vid if you can but don't worry about spin right now. Worry about mechanics. Leading with the pinky is a good thing. Check out the I/R threads by @BoardMember.

Most importantly, there are people here to help you! Keep posting and asking. You came to the right place!

Aug 20, 2018
I will try to post a newer video in the next few days if necessary as some things have changed, like her arm circle is better, but the end result is the same. Bullet spin every time. I know she CAN do it, because if she throws her change, it has the correct spin on it..

If you need/want a different angle, let me know and I can make that happen.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
She should learn how to throw a drop ball.

"Fixing" her spin for a fastball isn't worth the time and effort. Rachel Garcia seems to do quite well throwing bullet spin pitches.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06