Looking for a hitting coach in Lou, KY

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 29, 2011
Anyone know of a good hitting coach in the Louisville, KY/Southern Indiana area?

Thanks in advance.

Oct 19, 2009
There are many out there who will teach your kid to swing a bat and take your money, but very few who will teach good solid hitting mechanics. I wasted my daughters time and my money on more that one of them.

Then we started going to a DII coach’s camp that was very successful and he started us on the right path, then Alabama had an ad in our local paper for a coach’s camp. I attended along with my daughter, I took good notes and we worked on the things we were shown by the staff at the camp. We tried to get into the summer softball camp at Alabama and it was full so she attended the Georgia Summer Camp, at 13 she won the offence player award at the camp for 13-18 YO.

Then I found this forum by accident and began reading the post by Howard/Hitter and trying some of the suggestion he posted and like what I saw, he talked about vision, balance and gave advice on having kids feel the swing mechanics and other things I never thought of.

The next step was going to a Got Bustos clinic near Atlanta, GA taking notes and working with my daughter on the things she showed us at the clinic. In 2010 summer ball she hit 588 in 2011 summer ball playing against better pitching batted 619 for the summer, and this was after a slow start I talked to Howard and he made some suggestions and she used his advice and got on the correct path.

I felt what she learned at UTC, Alabama and Georgia was very helpful, but what she learned from Howard and Bustos took her to a different level in her hitting.

The most asked question I get from people is what kind of bat does your daughter use or what kind of bat should I get my daughter? When the mechanics of the swing is lacking an expensive bat will not solve the problem.

Poor coaching can produce limited success, but it will show up as a player faces better pitchers as will happen if she continues to play.

My dad would always said only take advice from someone successful, you will save yourself a lot of grief!!!!!!
:cool:

Last edited:
Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
Howard may know someone in that area. He just called me last night and it may be a few days , after his trip to Hi, before he reads posts on here. I lived there for two years and can't recall anyone in that area.

Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
I wouldn't put to much faith in the above web pages. Many I wouldn't send my kid to that are posted that I do know in this state and surrounding states. . . FFS ( won't post his name) is not listed in his state, and he seems to be knowledgable,. so for the reasons PEPPERS posted I would be hesitate to use this site.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2009
I wouldn't put to much faith in the above web pages. Many I wouldn't send my kid to that are posted that I do know in this state and surrounding states. . . FFS ( won't post his name) is not listed in his state, and he seems to be knowledgable,. so for the reasons PEPPERS posted I would be hesitate to use this site.

That doesn't sound very fair, or smart. It gives you a list of someone to talk with. You make your judgment after the interview. Maybe the ones you do know you could PM the OP with your opinion. But I wouldn't throw the baby out with the bath water. Or ever how you say that.

Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
The list for one is very outdated. Not sure when it is updated on this site. Not saying everyone on the list is poor, some I have worked with and know some on this list and they know what they are doing. Others are just after the money. I'm sure the same is true in your state. Many good hitting coaches are not on this list, but you find them via word of mouth. That was my point. This area is close to Howard and I'm sure he can recommend someone. I speaking in terms of KY,IN, Oh area, where we do many clinics. I have no idea about others on this list.

hen

Dec 1, 2010
Go see Howard

If you can, go to one of the Bustos clinics. Just went the one Howard did in Hawaii and learned a lot. Not sure if this is how it is for all the clinics, but he let us on the field to really get in and observe the drills and lessons they were going through. A bunch of the concepts they teach are demo'd to prove why they want you to do what they say versus the typical way (like grip & balance).

Highly suggest you bring a notepad out or something so you can jot down what you're hearing because it is good info.

Honestly it's not the same approach that I was taught growing up but it did make a lot of sense. Maybe the best part was that I left feeling that I could teach and show others the information I learned, not just spout canned phrases.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish