Look Back Rule

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 11, 2010
@Westwind that was one of the best descriptions of Bill Conroy's bandit style I've ever heard...."wild abandon" love it!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
I really do enjoy watching it. I also admire the execution- there is no hesitation by the players, they all know exactly what to do and the timing of when to do it.

Conversation I had with a very experienced coach that hasn’t seen a Bandits team play in person: (saw the tv coverage)

VEC: “He’s not a very good coach. He gets too many runners thrown out.”

Me: ”That dude is an evil genius that re-imagined softball.”

My dd is a college freshman. I’m out of coaching for awhile. If and when I go back, I fully intend to steal that part of Bill’s plan and make it my own.

Dec 11, 2010
I think most people haven't seen this executed by a high level team. I have seen it and it's impressive.

Those that think you can simply "stop it" haven't seen it executed properly. I have seen a couple of teams/orgs do this as a part of their offensive philosophy.

It's akin to playing a basketball team that full court presses the whole game. Sure you can break the press a lot of the time but they will get you eventually.

College coaches are risk adverse...don't look to them for innovation...
You said it way better than I can. It’s one of those “until you see it you can’t wrap your brain around it” type deals.

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
Against teams that don’t run it right, of course. If they run it right, it won’t work.

Lol...OK...what is the magic that happens to "run it right"?

If it's successful, I could just as easily say that it wasn't defended correctly. Had it been defended correctly, it wouldn't work. As mentioned above, we don't see this much at all in college. There's a reason.

Dec 11, 2010
Lol...OK...what is the magic that happens to "run it right"?

The magic is that it is almost undefendable. There isn’t a right defensive answer. There are only answers that give up less.

Anybody that plays them knows they are going to do it.

In PGF. Not some backwater tournament.

So the coaches at the highest level of PGF know what the other team is going to do and they can’t stop it? That’s a pretty nice little thing to have in your pocket as a coach! (Hint #9)

”Why doesn’t it happen in college” might be a fair question! Maybe the answer is in one of the posts above!

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2016
Bill didn't come up with it. Other organizations have been using it for many many years . I would love to see Bill play the same level teams he has but there are teams out there he wont play and never have because he knows he will lose

Dec 11, 2010

I have videos spread over 3 computers! This is not the best example but its the one I found... It isn't the one I originally mentioned. If you ignore the gawd awfulness of not getting the out on the bunt, it's essentially a first and third.... Defense did get the out at first which usually does not happen. I do have some of Kentucky running a delay dealio but I haven't found that yet. (The NCAA rule is different so it may not be best to confuse the issue.)

Last edited:
Nov 22, 2019
Minnesota, USA

I have videos spread over 3 computers! This is not the best example but its the one I found... It isn't the one I originally mentioned. If you ignore the gawd awfulness of not getting the out on the bunt, it's essentially a first and third.... Defense did get the out at first which usually does not happen. I do have some of Kentucky running a delay dealio but I haven't found that yet. (The NCAA rule is different so it may not be best to confuse the issue.)

Yikes, just let the runner go to second.

Dec 11, 2010
Total Catch 22.

When you let that runner go to 2, she likely ends up scoring too. It was ugly but they did get an out and probably prevented one run.

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014

That is some terrible infield defense. If your team can throw, catch, and knows the LBR, this isn't that hard.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06