Look Back Rule

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 25, 2019
Runner on third, batter walks, now the batter is told to continue to 2nd to see if pitcher will make a throw, so runner on third can come home. Now, if the runner is jogging towards 2nd, can she stop and immediately return to first? (the pitcher has made no motion)

Nov 22, 2019
Minnesota, USA
Yes, a runner has 1 stop or reversal of direction once the lookback rule goes into effect.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

I don't think that is correct if the pitcher isn't making a play. At that point, the runner turning around and going back to 1st would make it pretty clear they are purely trying to cause a defensive error and not running the bases.

USA Softball likes to make it a pain in the rear end to actually find their rules online so I can't look it up at the moment but pretty sure a baserunner stopping running and going back for no clear reason besides trying to create an error is entering the "travesty of the game" territory. Rounding first on a walk and continuing to go to second is still beneficial to the runner as she is advancing bases.

Jun 22, 2008
I will say it again, a runner can stop 1 time or reverse direction after the lookback rule has gone into effect, it clearly states that in the rules. The only time they must continue non stop unless a play is made on them is if they overrun first base toward right field and them turn toward 2nd.

And you can pretty much forget about the travesty of the game clause, if you are going to try and apply that then you better apply it to fake throws, off speed pitches, any trick play etc.

Last edited:
May 1, 2018
Yes they can make one stop and change of direction. If the pitcher makes no move.....not sure why they would though.

Feb 25, 2018
USA rule 8-7-T-1:

”A batter-runner who rounds first base toward second base may stop once, but then must immediately non-stop return to first base or attempt to advance non-stop to second base.”

Where is the runner on third once the batter-runner reaches first?

Jun 22, 2008
USA 8-7-T-3-A When a runner is legitimately off a base after a pitch or as a result of the batter completing a turn at bat, and while the pitcher has control of the ball within the eight foot radius of the pitchers plate, the runner may stop once then must immediately return to the base or attempt to advance to the next base.

C-1 A batter runner who rounds first base toward 2nd base may stop once, but then must immediately non-stop return to first base or advance non stop to 2nd base.

C-2 a batter runner who overruns fist base toward right field, turns left and immediately stops, must then return non stop to first base or advance none stop to 2nd base.

There are a couple more citations but continue on with the same basis. A runner may stop once and then reverse direction or continue on once the lookback rule is in effect. For example, runner on 2nd takes a lead after the pitch and begins to return to 2nd prior to the ball being returned to the pitcher. Pitcher now receives the ball in the circle, that runner still has a stop or reversal of direction since she was already moving prior to the lookback rule going into effect. If the runner had been standing still when the pitcher received the ball, then moved one way or the other now they are committed to which ever direction they chose to go.

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
Against a defense that knows what it is doing, this nonsense usually produces either...

1. An out at 2B and no score.

2. Two outs.

Nov 22, 2019
Minnesota, USA
USA 8-7-T-3-A When a runner is legitimately off a base after a pitch or as a result of the batter completing a turn at bat, and while the pitcher has control of the ball within the eight foot radius of the pitchers plate, the runner may stop once then must immediately return to the base or attempt to advance to the next base.

C-1 A batter runner who rounds first base toward 2nd base may stop once, but then must immediately non-stop return to first base or advance non stop to 2nd base.

C-2 a batter runner who overruns fist base toward right field, turns left and immediately stops, must then return non stop to first base or advance none stop to 2nd base.

There are a couple more citations but continue on with the same basis. A runner may stop once and then reverse direction or continue on once the lookback rule is in effect. For example, runner on 2nd takes a lead after the pitch and begins to return to 2nd prior to the ball being returned to the pitcher. Pitcher now receives the ball in the circle, that runner still has a stop or reversal of direction since she was already moving prior to the lookback rule going into effect. If the runner had been standing still when the pitcher received the ball, then moved one way or the other now they are committed to which ever direction they chose to go.

No, not in all of the examples. It depends on her actions after running through first base and when the pitcher had the ball. If the pitcher had the ball before the runner started advancing to 2nd which should almost always be the case unless the catcher was wasting time.

1599658300539.png

Jun 22, 2008
I have no idea what you are trying to say, the rule you posted is the same as what I was quoting. And running through first base is a different subject than what was posted in the original play. I simply included it as an example of when a runner cannot stop. In the original play posted the runner may stop, reverse direction or continue on.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ceez12