Look back rule question.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 18, 2014
I am confused about the "only stop once" part of the look back rule. If say a runner has left first and for some odd reason they give the ball to pitch does the "only stop once" part of the rule mean that if the runner never brakes stride and doesn't stop could she continue all the way to home or would giving the ball to pitch stop the runner.

Yeah dumb question but unfortunately I have reason to ask.

Jun 24, 2013
Yes, the runner can walk to home at her own leisurely pace.

(The ball in the circle does not mean a lot, it is important only from the stand point that the runner needs to make a decision. If the pitchers walks a batter, get the ball in the circle, the runner can run all the way to home and score.)

Last edited:
Mar 2, 2013
A runner in motion may stop one time, then immediately decide whether to continue to the next base or retreat to the previous base in all codes except NCAA. In NCAA, when the rule goes into effect, a runner in motion is permitted to continue forward without stopping or may stop once, but then must continue forward. This is not a smart rule and is not consistent with the purpose behind it.

In any code, if the runner stops on the base, they may not leave that base.

Mar 13, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
In NCAA, when the rule goes into effect, a runner in motion is permitted to continue forward without stopping or may stop once, but then must continue forward.

Rule 12.21.2 says that the runner "may immediately and directly go back in the other direction".

I'm not seeing anything in their rule that that requires a runner to continue forward after stopping. In fact, the NCAA rule seems to suggest just the opposite. Once stopped, the runner must retreat.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sarahjackson13