locking the front leg prior to contact

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 2, 2009
Suffolk, VA
I teach a firm front leg. Not necessarily locked, but firm. You don't want the leg bent because it will allow you to lunge, lean forward or do other things that are not conducive to good hitting.

Best way to think of it is you want to drive *into* your front leg rather than over it. That requires the leg to be firm.

Ken, MY personal believe/instruction is to lock out / firm leg is a good way to say it. Interesting though as Samatha Findley, Callahan and Jessica Mendoza all seem to come into contact with a bent front leg, yet Crystal Bustos, Caitlin B along with the ones you sent, all lock on contact. I use DVDs of TIVOED successful DIV1 players locking out during classroom time, THOUGH just as many very good hitters do have bent legs.

Findley is a GREAT EXAMPLE of what I would NOT teach, but she was VERY SUCCESSFUL and how could I argue that!??? She bends her front knee AND DROPS her Back foot 10-12 inches as she rotates!!!!!!!!!

** I've mentioned before and I believe it more and more....
1) I can find video of great players with opposing mechanics, yet both styles are successful!
2) If an athlete practices enough (with reasonable mechanics), they learn to coordinate a skill that works for them. *** KEY is practicing enough reps at GAME speed and game stressors!!!!!

I'm beginning to back off telling batters they SHOULD do this or they SHOULD do that. I'm at the stage now to analyze what is NOT working and trying to help the athletes (batters in this case) understand that when they are doing something that pulls their eyes, over-extends-pulling them off balance, or anything that seems to be obvious to hindering coordination.

Who is right? Outfielder catchinig a ball on GLOVE shoulder or Throwing hand shoulder? Arguements AGAINST both, yet 50/50 when I ask DIV1 coaches what they prefer!!!!!!

Who is right? Cheri Kemp, Michele Smith and Cindy Bristow (OUTSTANDING Pitchers and pitching coaches) state Pitchers should NOT Open/Close hips for very valid reasons. YET Ernie Parker (also World renowned) teaches as many great pitchers in previous years do - OPEN/CLOSE!

I do appreciate the arguements for both. I also agree that MANY times in the last bunch of years I hear coaches COMPLICATE what they are saying with so much scientific/physics based rationale, that they lose the message, which means they are NOT effective in teaching. They COULD be correct, but many times the girls are more confused, so they get to a point of IGNORING that instruction as well as any instruction following, cause they lose confidence in the coaches ability to teach.

Jun 6, 2009
Ken, MY personal believe/instruction is to lock out / firm leg is a good way to say it. Interesting though as Samatha Findley, Callahan and Jessica Mendoza all seem to come into contact with a bent front leg, yet Crystal Bustos, Caitlin B along with the ones you sent, all lock on contact. I use DVDs of TIVOED successful DIV1 players locking out during classroom time, THOUGH just as many very good hitters do have bent legs.

Findley is a GREAT EXAMPLE of what I would NOT teach, but she was VERY SUCCESSFUL and how could I argue that!??? She bends her front knee AND DROPS her Back foot 10-12 inches as she rotates!!!!!!!!!

** I've mentioned before and I believe it more and more....
1) I can find video of great players with opposing mechanics, yet both styles are successful!
2) If an athlete practices enough (with reasonable mechanics), they learn to coordinate a skill that works for them. *** KEY is practicing enough reps at GAME speed and game stressors!!!!!

I'm beginning to back off telling batters they SHOULD do this or they SHOULD do that. I'm at the stage now to analyze what is NOT working and trying to help the athletes (batters in this case) understand that when they are doing something that pulls their eyes, over-extends-pulling them off balance, or anything that seems to be obvious to hindering coordination.

Who is right? Outfielder catchinig a ball on GLOVE shoulder or Throwing hand shoulder? Arguements AGAINST both, yet 50/50 when I ask DIV1 coaches what they prefer!!!!!!

Who is right? Cheri Kemp, Michele Smith and Cindy Bristow (OUTSTANDING Pitchers and pitching coaches) state Pitchers should NOT Open/Close hips for very valid reasons. YET Ernie Parker (also World renowned) teaches as many great pitchers in previous years do - OPEN/CLOSE!

I do appreciate the arguements for both. I also agree that MANY times in the last bunch of years I hear coaches COMPLICATE what they are saying with so much scientific/physics based rationale, that they lose the message, which means they are NOT effective in teaching. They COULD be correct, but many times the girls are more confused, so they get to a point of IGNORING that instruction as well as any instruction following, cause they lose confidence in the coaches ability to teach.

Well said. I agree with much of what you say here.

Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
Since the weight is moving linear there is weight being transferred more inside the back leg as the decision is being made when too swing. When the rear elbow begins to lower or slot, the heel plant is taking place and the rotation is starting from the ground up. As the feet begin to stabilize the body the rotation is taking place and in my mind it is rotating around the front leg as the hip structure is moving and centering around the spine and we are pushing forward with the back leg and during contact so some players will still be driving forward and others will be tilting back using their core muscles more when you see the head and chest back and an angle up against the front leg. There is variation from player to player and you will see that in many hitters and all can be considered successful in my opinion.

So where do you stand on the knee being flexed or becoming rigid sooner? Does the weight shift forward during your decision to swing or just open the hips quickly and swing?

Mar 2, 2009
Suffolk, VA
So where do you stand on the knee being flexed or becoming rigid sooner? Does the weight shift forward during your decision to swing or just open the hips quickly and swing?

SBFAMILY: not sure if you intended your question for the communiity or me.
-- sir, for me...... I feel the batter should go from heel plant, to hips moving toward the pitcher before they start rotating in ANTICIPATION to swing, obviously hands back, THEN as the ball approches, the batter makes the decision whether to swinig. *** I like the batters to be READY to swing if the pitch is what they are looking for. IF they haven't gotten to the point of prepping all the way to the last step of releasing the hands, then they are behind. (Generally tell the girls they MUST get to heel plant for balance early enough to be ready to make the decision whether they are going to swing vice rushing ther swing becuase they started their "wheels" late.)
I also feel too many batters let their front hip fly open too quickly, pulling away from the low-away pitch, which if I'm calling pitches is where I would go when I see batter's hips flying open!

May 12, 2008
feel the batter should go from heel plant, to hips moving toward the pitcher before they start rotating!
Photo 11 of 31, Analysis Speaking of hips or shoulders rotating? I suppose shoulders since you speak of keeping the hands back?

(Generally tell the girls they MUST get to heel plant for balance early enough to be ready to make the decision whether they are going to swing vice rushing ther swing becuase they started their "wheels" late.)

I see a lot of girls taking this too far and coming to a dead stop before the swing.

I also feel too many batters let their front hip fly open too quickly, pulling away from the low-away pitch, which if I'm calling pitches is where I would go when I see batter's hips flying open!

True. Thinking about straightening the knee may contribute to this ime. Let the knee straighten as much and when it needs to for the pelvis. A non teach ime.

Mar 2, 2009
Suffolk, VA
Photo 11 of 31, Analysis Speaking of hips or shoulders rotating? I suppose shoulders since you speak of keeping the hands back?

Hips and shoulders both rotating, elbows lead the hands, and hands back to react to ball.

** With Summer season ending this weekend for us, I'd like to TRY to work keeping their hands back as long as possible to TRY and help them react to breaking pitches, yet not too slow they can't catch up to them!

Make sense or other thoughts to help react to breaking pitches.
** We do NOT work enough VISION training, or spend time letting the girls learn to read pitches released from the hand. We expect them to start reading teh spin of the ball, yet we NEVER practice it. Hard enouogh at College where their training is so much more specialized, but us meeting 3 days a week and NEVER working it............................

May 12, 2008
You said:

I feel the batter should go from heel plant, to hips moving toward the pitcher before they start rotating in ANTICIPATION to swing, obviously hands back, !

To be more clear, are you saying heel plant happens before hip rotation? I'm trying to make sure I understand your intent.

Mar 2, 2009
Suffolk, VA
You said:
To be more clear, are you saying heel plant happens before hip rotation? I'm trying to make sure I understand your intent.

Absolutely! Toe touch to Heel Plant BEFORE hips are movinig, providing for balance and driving off the front leg. (I don't care if they don't have a stride (not a long stride though, then again it DID work for Fransesca Enea!). hat I care about is when tey do get to heel plant, they are moving there hips.

Old Feet/Hips THEN Hands.

I absolutely believe in Don Slaught's Hitting mechanics and his one stint as a hitting coach and Detroiot goes to the World Series!
** Watching Yankees/CHISOX game..... Jeter and DAMON - HEEL PLANT BEFORE rotation!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06