Load

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
I would use caution on what has been written. The term straight back and not allowing the back elbow to go around the corner with the written word isn't a very good way to explain loading.

windup1.gif

start1.gif

How far do the hands actually move back in this clip?

Isn't she moving the hands straight back, 1,2,3 inches from the shoulder? Also hasn't this swing been called flawed, something a elite hitter is getting away with?

What could be done differently in this swing?

Also, when talking about loading, what you really want in most hitters is a efficeint sequence that transfers energy into the bat to hit the ball.

Last edited:
Jan 14, 2009
Atlanta, Georgia
agree, but I like the hands at about shoulder height when loaded. What about bat angle i like the bat head to point a bit forward aross helmet (ponytail) hole with the wrist cocked?

The barrel angle falls under style and not technique. However I do see a lot of coaches and instructors teaching a barrel angle behind the helmet (ponytail) close to the crook of the neck. A good instructor will be able to teach the hitter how to transition into the technique part of the swing from a variety handsets.

I start them out in a vertical bat handset so that they can learn the proper way to tuck the back elbow and lift the front forearm, i.e. get their hands flat correctly. If they can do it from a vertical bat handset, they can do it from flatter handset positions, like the crook of the neck one.

The danger I see in teaching the bat in the crook of the neck handset position as technique, is the potential for a gate type shoulder powered swing and a SHORT ZONE barrel path. I see a lot of these type swings in FP.

Hitter

Banned
Dec 6, 2009
The barrel angle falls under style and not technique. However I do see a lot of coaches and instructors teaching a barrel angle behind the helmet (ponytail) close to the crook of the neck. A good instructor will be able to teach the hitter how to transition into the technique part of the swing from a variety handsets.

I start them out in a vertical bat handset so that they can learn the proper way to tuck the back elbow and lift the front forearm, i.e. get their hands flat correctly. If they can do it from a vertical bat handset, they can do it from flatter handset positions, like the crook of the neck one.

The danger I see in teaching the bat in the crook of the neck handset position as technique, is the potential for a gate type shoulder powered swing and a SHORT ZONE barrel path. I see a lot of these type swings in FP.

Agree, which is why the back of the helmet and or pony tail keeps it out of the crook of the neck and keeps the angle at about 45 degrees. especially when the hands are at or above the shoulders.

Thanks Howard

Oct 18, 2009
Gilroy, Ca
I just had a discussion with one of our other asst coaches about loading. She teaches a pre-set load where the batter is in the box with the hands already to the rear shoulder with no rear movement at toe touch. She says that using the slow load is a wasted motion and serves no purpose and creates more problems due to the moving parts. We discussed this at length and I am just looking for other opinions for either way.

Thanks,

Joey

Hitter

Banned
Dec 6, 2009
I just had a discussion with one of our other asst coaches about loading. She teaches a pre-set load where the batter is in the box with the hands already to the rear shoulder with no rear movement at toe touch. She says that using the slow load is a wasted motion and serves no purpose and creates more problems due to the moving parts. We discussed this at length and I am just looking for other opinions for either way.

Thanks,

Joey

Opinions are like belly buttons and every body has one...

What ever works for your students and you and achieves the desired results works.

My focus is on how to dance with the pitcher and reverse our direction from load to toe touch without pausing or stopping, that allows us to flow to the ball and make a decision to swing in less time than it takes to blink your eyes one time.

If 47% of hitting the ball is attributed to seeing the ball, how would you assign the other 63% as to distance from the plate, stance, load, connection, heel plant, bat lag, contact, extension and finish?

When we search to teach the MLB Elite swing pattern what is the major element that is always discussed?

How we get there is considered style verses mechanics by most, so why would loading even be a concern or moving the hands if it does not matter?

One other item, the no stride start with the hands back and just swing was popular also, less moving parts also was the logic by most.

Thanks Howard

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2009

While a pre-set load is simplest, you could argue that you're leaving some power on the table.

Pujols is probably the best example of a pre-set load and even he has a small load beyond this point.

He doesn't just go from a standing start.

Oct 19, 2009
One other item, the no stride start with the hands back and just swing was popular also, less moving parts also was the logic by most.

Thanks Howard

The no stride is taught a lot around our area by local coaches and hitting instructors. In the last few years you see more and more of a rhythm and movement with a load and a non stop swing at games.

At a younger age my daughter was taught the no stride style. When she was first taught the R&M style with out stopping at load it took some practice to get the timing down to be successful at this swing, once she got it mastered she is a much more productive hitter, she is more constant and hits with more power. When she learned this at Alabama they told the girls not to give up on this style of hitting, they advised it took practice and reps to get it mastered.

Jan 29, 2009
I would say that MAXIMUM separation tends to happen at toe touch.

I would disagree with this. If we're talking about separation, then the legs are not engaged and at full strength until the front heel touches the ground. While the front foot and hands might be at their greatest distance apart at toe touch, to me the greatest amount of actual tension in the swing happens at heel plant, because we have all muscle groups actively involved in the swing and not yet connected.

I look at separation, not as a "length" issue, but basically as useable tension that leads to connection. The lower body is not strong enough, until heel plant to really have a maximum effect on the torso until the lower body is connected to the ground with the front heel.

Mark Mulvany

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
salgonzalez