Load

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Hitter

Banned
Dec 6, 2009
I would disagree with this. If we're talking about separation, then the legs are not engaged and at full strength until the front heel touches the ground. While the front foot and hands might be at their greatest distance apart at toe touch, to me the greatest amount of actual tension in the swing happens at heel plant, because we have all muscle groups actively involved in the swing and not yet connected.

I look at separation, not as a "length" issue, but basically as useable tension that leads to connection. The lower body is not strong enough, until heel plant to really have a maximum effect on the torso until the lower body is connected to the ground with the front heel.

Mark Mulvany

I do not have the resources Chris has however he could probably show clips of hitters not at heel plant that have hit very well.

When you are on the ball of your foot you have power that may not have been used yet however you can still be effective.

I feel the flex in the front leg is important as it helps to transfer the weight or weight shift, to be more effective.

You see clips where the knee will not be locked out at contact and yet the ball is gone, so it might be somewhere between heel plant and after toe touch and it still works.

Your point of usable tension is well taken and letting the hips lead and separation is something you will see in a hitters face when they say that felt good!

Thanks Howard

Jan 14, 2009
Atlanta, Georgia
I would disagree with this. If we're talking about separation, then the legs are not engaged and at full strength until the front heel touches the ground. While the front foot and hands might be at their greatest distance apart at toe touch, to me the greatest amount of actual tension in the swing happens at heel plant, because we have all muscle groups actively involved in the swing and not yet connected.

I look at separation, not as a "length" issue, but basically as useable tension that leads to connection. The lower body is not strong enough, until heel plant to really have a maximum effect on the torso until the lower body is connected to the ground with the front heel.

Mark Mulvany

We are probably splitting hairs here, but technically on a perfectly timed pitch, I agree that maximum stretch occurs at heel plant. As Epstein explains it;

"The Front heel drops, initiating the opening of the hips, and maximizing the separation of upper and lower torso. Hands and upper torso may still be going backward as this takes place!"

As Howard mentions, sometimes the front leg doesn't get locked out all the way. The reason being that hitters frequently have to make on-the-fly adjustments. One game swing of Ted's I've seen, has him with a bent front leg at contact and what looks to be a lot of weight forward. It's clear in the clip that he was early and making an adjustment.

I do believe most hitters have a goal of locking out the front leg into contact. The problem is that the pitchers don't cooperate.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IBSoftballDad619