Live pitching at practice...good or bad?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 27, 2010
Eastern Iowa
These posts was originally in a thread about organizing a practice. It is a good discussion so I started a separate thread....Moderator Ray

One of the D1 teams we watch has a pitcher/catcher pair work 3 batters at a time. One bats, one is on 1st reacting to the result of the pitch (but not running all the way), the other is on deck. The head coach stands behind the pitcher calling balls/strikes, critiquing the pitcher and/or batter. I forget the rotation key, maybe 3 outs/hits? The runner at 1st gets the head coach's serious attention real quick if she slacks at 1st.

The assistant is simultaneously working the infield/outfield from behind a screen at 3rd. The infielders/outfielders are also fielding balls hit by the batter in addition to activity in between pitches.

My 14U (as well as the majority of other 14U teams) isn't the same as a D1 school. We still have pitchers/batters that struggle. Which is why it can turn into alot of standing around time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oct 25, 2009
My 14U (as well as the majority of other 14U teams) isn't the same as a D1 school. We still have pitchers/batters that struggle. Which is why it can turn into alot of standing around time.

A local 14U TB team I worked some with last season had a former HS star pitcher throw once a week to their batters. It made a tremendous difference in their hitting at their first TB tournament.

Facing live pitching is one of the best practices you can do. I'm not talking about please-the-batter BP, I'm talking live pitching. It's totally worth it, at whatever level.

Live pitching can be done efficiently without everyone standing around if the practice is organized.

Jan 25, 2011
Well,I have to say if your batters aren't seeing live pitching and your pitchers aren't seeing live batters then you are dropping the ball.We use are pitchers not all the time,but they do pitch to our batters.The pitchers aren't throwing BP,they are trying to strick them out or keep it on the ground.IMO they both need the work,I dont want my dd just thinking that when the game starts that she is just throwing to the catcher,she needs to think and if she doesn't see real batters in practice then she is allready behind.So I have to agree with softballphreak 100%.

Sep 17, 2009
Live pitching can be done efficiently without everyone standing around if the practice is organized.

I would love to hear more ideas about this. Above was one approach with a coach behind a screen at third base. But even that has too little detail to implement well -- what is that coach doing? How does he address right side of the infield from there? etc? How to keep it safe?

I'd love some options with one field (how to organize, safety, etc) and even two fields (how to split the girls, how to not have picking up balls slow things down).

I agree with softballphreak etc. but would love to steal any good ideas for "organized practice plans" that include live pitching! Would be very valuable.

TKS.

PS - We had a varsity high school pitcher come in and pitch to our 13Us last summer, and I agree it was great. But I'm not sure we organized it as well as we could have : >

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2011
I keep hearing about girls standing around,I really dont see how that it would be any different then a game.We called balls and strikes,and outs,just like a real game.I can only see a problem if your pitchers are really that bad or your batters can't hit,and if they are that bad then. Time standing around is the least of your problems.If they can't get it even get close to hittable then maybe a soccer team might be what you have,and yes even at the 10-u level.Sorry if I make anybody mad,but thats how I see it.

Jan 27, 2010
Eastern Iowa
I keep hearing about girls standing around,I really dont see how that it would be any different then a game.We called balls and strikes,and outs,just like a real game.I can only see a problem if your pitchers are really that bad or your batters can't hit,and if they are that bad then. Time standing around is the least of your problems.If they can't get it even get close to hittable then maybe a soccer team might be what you have,and yes even at the 10-u level.Sorry if I make anybody mad,but thats how I see it.

Practice isn't supposed to be like the game....it is supposed to be harder. What I was responding to was someone who said you have to simulate game situations. Well in a game you stand around. You don't get better standing around. We never run hitting and fielding at the same time. When we hit we ALL hit. We run 4 sometimes 5 stations and no one ever stands around. If you aren't the the girl that is actually doing the station then you are taking dry swings or bunts or whatever that station has. One of the stations is live pitching, but we never have the entire defense standing there doing nothing.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2009
Pitcher
Catcher
Batter
On deck batter
Baserunner on 1st
LF
CF
RF
SS
2nd
Coach behind screen at 3rd hitting to SS, 2nd, or outfielders between non-hit pitches
Second pitcher and catcher warming up
Other players at off-field stations
Rotate on whatever key, such as 3 at bats.

There shouldn't be that much standing around in that scenario. Keep in mind it's primarily live batting, not instruction.

Jun 10, 2010
midwest
If you have couple screens you can do two pitchers/catchers/batters on one field.

Both are pitching to different batters at the same time.

Throw down two home plates…each side of original home plate…put a screen between the batters.

Put another screen between the pitchers where it blocks any balls from coming at them from the other batter.

Thats 6 players active. 2 catchers, 2 pitchers, 2 hitters.

couple infielders…few outfielders. Rotate them.

HS does this…Its pretty kul and keeps things going.

You can also have live pitching/hitting with one screen and multiple stations going on..on one field. Use the screen to block the grounders/line drives down the line of the stations.

As far as live batting off your own pitchers. It is a good thing for both but it can't become an every practice thing. There is a point where it is not good for the pitchers if its taking too much practice time away from them imo.

Jan 25, 2011
Practice isn't supposed to be like the game....it is supposed to be harder.
Why must it be harder?I have to say what could be harder then trying to strike out your own players and get a big hit off your #1 pitcher on your own team.You don't think,that your own want to show up your own.I guess I dont think practices are harder then a real game,but that is just IMO.I never said your whole defense is out in the feild,I really never said how to do it.But softballphreak,and bobbyb are right on track with their plans.

Jan 27, 2010
Eastern Iowa
Why must it be harder?I have to say what could be harder then trying to strike out your own players and get a big hit off your #1 pitcher on your own team.You don't think,that your own want to show up your own.I guess I dont think practices are harder then a real game,but that is just IMO.I never said your whole defense is out in the feild,I really never said how to do it.But softballphreak,and bobbyb are right on track with their plans.

That isn't MY idea it is an idea I have "stolen" from D1 coaches at clinics. But I guess they are wrong too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
meeks