Little League shoulder

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 10, 2013
Florida State has 4 pitchers on roster, 2 from Fla., 1 from Ga., and the other from Va. There is not 1 "northern" player on their team, all are from warm weather states. But I do think one of their pitchers is from North Florida if that makes it better.

My fault, I meant the baseball team which did have a pitcher from chicago

Silicon5

softball mom
Apr 13, 2014
Silicon valley
Follow up on little leaguer's shoulder

Hi I was curious about how your daughter is doing now after having little leaguer's shoulder. Has she gotten stronger? Does she have any more problems now that it has been awhile since her therapy?

Did your PT give you a throwing regimen for easing back into softball? What kind of exercises did he give your daughter to do?

My daughter just got released to go back to softball but ease into it very slowly.

I have chronicled my daughter's exercises in my blog under softball workouts and was wondering if yours was the same or different? We were given a throwing program (mostly for baseball players) that we adjusted on our own for softball. I will post it once I have refined it for softball.

Would be interested in finding out even if our workouts were similar to yours.

Thanks

My daughter was diagnosed with this 3 months ago. She had no pain in the shoulder area. All of a sudden her arm circle was terrible, she lost speed and no control. I took her to the sports medicine Dr and this is what he diagnosed. 6 weeks of physical therapy 2 times a week. No throwing for 7 weeks. She is to continue doing the exercises with the bands every day. It has taken 3 weeks to get her arm circle straightened back out. She will start pitching next weekend in tournaments again. It has been a long road to recovery, but she is almost back.

Jul 2, 2013
My DD was a baseball pitcher at 11 years old.

At 12 years old, could not hardly throw an overhand throw.

Growth spurt of 1/4" every 3 months. 2" in 2 years. Went to orthopedac doctor, he \had no answers.

Bad mechanics (threw almost sidearm), weak upper body (strong legs), and a tremendous growth spurt.

Took 3 years, at 15, to get a strong overhand throw back (in softball) from the outfield with the right technique, finally.

Some young ladies, like mine, fit these charactoristics. Maybe yours does too. Just our experience. Doctors never put a name to it like LL shoulder.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
Mine was re-diagnosed later as having possible SLAP tear, which is worse. But she's re-habbed and there is no evidence of a tear now, several months later. Still has a little pain occasionally, but throwing 100 percent now. She only throws 2-3 times/week now. That has helped. Kids probably throw too much in softball, IMO. Playing 4-5 games in a day, especially with multiple warm-up periods, are the debil.

Apr 16, 2013
My DD (almost 11) is the #1 pitcher on her travel baseball team. She's also played travel and rec at the same time for years. She also catches. Needless to say, she throws overhand A LOT. Mechanics are everything. I hate to say it, but watching most girls throw in softball (overhand) makes me cringe. (At the same time, watching most kids in baseball pitch makes me cringe.) I've studied pitching and arm mechanics for quite a while now. I spent a lot of time with my DD instilling good mechanics. While I realize it's about pitching, everyone could learn a lot by studying Dr Marshall's mechanics. (Just google Dr Mike Marshall.) The arm motion is what I really pay attention to. Throw with the lat, not the pec, and voluntary pronation of the arm is a must.

I just got xrays taken of my DD's elbows last week and sent them off to Dr. Marshall. (Plus I also wanted to know her biological age.) Though he'd never agree with the amount of pitching she does, she got a clean bill of health. Both elbows look exactly the same, no damage from pitching. I fully believe the mechanics she uses are the reason for that. She uses the same arm motion whether she's pitching or throwing of any kind. I sincerely believe all parents could benefit from studying Dr Marshall's material. It's very scientific, but once you dig in, you learn so much. Anyone who wants more info can feel free to message me. I don't want this to be about baseball pitching, but throwing mechanics in general.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OAFSoftballMom#1