Little League Rule Questions...All-Stars

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 20, 2010
There were two forfeits in our district this all-star season. One at the 12u level, one with the 10's ( different towns)
In both cases they could have rescheduled, even pushed it back a couple hours ( they were Sunday afternoon games) if they REALLY wanted to get the games in, but opted not to.

Not complaining, that's their prerogative, but I feel like they're missing the bigger picture. This year 1/3 of the leagues in our district that normally play didn't field teams this year ( and two of those towns brought back state championships the last 3 years) and I think part of the fallout from this season will mean the two towns above won't field teams next year.

They can have all the righteousness they like, but they continue pushing players away with decisions like this.

And in our case they knew of the conflict months ahead of time and tried to set the schedule around it. When rain screwed things up they would not push the games 2 days despite both teams remaining begging them to do so. I figured worst case is that they would double forfeit and we would win the title in a crappy way but in the first time in history the DQed teams for something other than a blatent roster violation.

It was total BS. We actually filed for an injunction and were able to talk to little league and found out the district completely lied to get us DQed. We thought they would fix it but I am sure after calling the district and region they circled the wagons and lawyered up to buy time. In the end the Judge agreed with us as to right and wrong but siad he could not tell little league what to do.

Little Leagues teams lose court battle to play championship game | KING5.com Seattle

In the big scheme of things I still don't see what the heartburn is all about, lets face it from the very beginning the girls decided playing in the LL game was not their priority and if it was not a priority for the teams why should LL care they gave the spot to a team that valued the LL tournament.

Why didn't you go try and work out a schedule change with NSA state tournament, because you knew they were not going to change their whole tournament just for you,why should LL be any different. Speaking of which how did things go at the NSA state tournament?

Edit: The more I read about this it does seem that basically they were treated a little unfairly (in that 3rd place team was allowed to refuse to play re-scheduled double header without penalty) and really they were punished for being honest, if they had simply said give us the date and we will be there then showed up with only 3 or 4 girls they would have had no other choice but to call a forfeit and the girls would have advanced.

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2009
PA
I schedule all of the games for our local LL, and do my best to accommodate reasonable requests that are brought to my attention early. But is is a major pain trying to please everybody and work within everyone's "busy" schedules, and there is a point at which you can't make everyone happy. Parents, coaches, and players need to own their decisions and live with the outcome. In this case, you prioritized the NSA State tournament over the LL tournament. That choice is yours to make and yours to own. If someone makes you live with that choice, it is no one else's fault because they could not change their busy schedule to accommodate your busy schedule.

Jan 20, 2010
My issue wasn't so much the refusal to reschedule. I just think that was the right thing to do especially given the circumstances. The decision to DQ rather than forfeit despite the fact that forfeiture had been the harshest remedy in every similar example is what I have a problem with. That was purely to punish the girls for playing select softball.

BTW I didn't bring the legal action...that was a parent from the other team. Their focus was obviously on getting the games rescheduled.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CentralCoastBulldogs