Licking Fingers Illegal??

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 19, 2008
We had a JV high school tournament this weekend. Our pitcher would lick her finger tips every now and then just for the little added grip and the ump told her she could not do that, that it was illegal. Is this correct?

Rob

May 21, 2008
We had a JV high school tournament this weekend. Our pitcher would lick her finger tips every now and then just for the little added grip and the ump told her she could not do that, that it was illegal. Is this correct?

Rob

I have seen umps in my area have a problem with both touching the ground or licking fingers and then going directly to the ball. From what I understand if you go to the ground or to your mouth you have to wipe your fingers off on your uniform before touching the ball.

Jan 27, 2010
ASA Rule 6.9. addresses foreign substances and licking the fingers." A pitcher who licks their fingers must wipe the fingers off before bringing them in contact with the ball".

Oct 15, 2009
you can lick fingers but before touching ball you must wipe on uniform, I think that is a pretty common rule

Jan 23, 2010
VA, USA
Agree, I wouldn't want to be licking my fingers. We've been told you must wipe it off here (HS ball in VA). Same goes if you touch your face, hair, etc.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
krugersoftball