letting kids play other sports

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 15, 2016
A player does not have to stop all of her other sports to be an "elite" softball player. That is a myth perpetuated by the same folks who want your kid paying big money and flying around the country all year. I personally think they can be "elite" in multiple sports because the truly elite athletes are truly elite athletes and not just elite softball players. It goes back to the fact that if a player is THAT good they can and will get noticed if they go about it the right way. Oh my gosh they missed the "Epic Elite Diamond Premiere Select Showcase" in the fall of their freshman year of HS because they were playing HS volleyball. It is tough to balance trying to play the equivalent of travel ball in multiple sports (whether that is AAU hoops, JO volleyball, etc...) and maybe your kid can't play on the absolute "best" softball TB team if she wants to play HS volleyball and basketball as well. There is no right and no wrong answer and each kid and situation is unique. If you chose to let your kid miss HS VB, or soccer practice to go to a softball showcase and the coach has some consequences then that is fair. I know several girls who had scholarship offers in multiple sports. They were just THAT good.

To digress, why is the culture of girls sports so "one-sport" centered? Many of the best boys HS athletes do the football, basketball, baseball/track combination. Some get to play football and baseball at P5 conferences. This is not just the QB/Pitcher either. Is that because there isn't really travel ball for football and HS football is where you get noticed? That then allows the player to have more time to develop in the other sports? Just a question. Anyone know of some D1 volleyball or soccer players who also decided to be part-time D1 softball players? The men make it work in baseball.

Feb 17, 2014
DD attended a Jerrad Hardin camp this summer where this was talked about pretty heavily.

Given the new recruiting time frame in the fall, the last 3 weeks of recruiting are the first 3 weeks of girls' HS basketball season. The weekend of the Scenic City Showcase is the same weekend most teams have their first games, Saturday double header. College coaches were asked about this and every single one of them said "Play basketball. We'll see you in the summer." Then they go on about recruiting athletes not softball players, etc. These were coaches from Indiana, Purdue, Michigan, St. Louis, Northern Kentucky, Valpo, etc.

I was watching an NC State game on ESPN a couple of years ago and when they were running through their lineup at the start of the game they mentioned that every kid on NC State was a multi-sport athlete in HS. The lead off hitter was a 4 year letter winner in 4 sports.

If a coach tells you your kid shouldn't play multiple sports, they're an idiot. If they are the HC of your DD's team, they are being selfish. Find DD another team.

My DD will play basketball & softball all 4 years in HS and will play softball in college.

I actually think this 1 sport idea is a myth because anyone you talk to says multi-sport athletes are better. I have never heard the coach of any major team (MS, HS, College) say a kid should play 1 sport.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
DD attended a Jerrad Hardin camp this summer where this was talked about pretty heavily.

Given the new recruiting time frame in the fall, the last 3 weeks of recruiting are the first 3 weeks of girls' HS basketball season. The weekend of the Scenic City Showcase is the same weekend most teams have their first games, Saturday double header. College coaches were asked about this and every single one of them said "Play basketball. We'll see you in the summer." Then they go on about recruiting athletes not softball players, etc. These were coaches from Indiana, Purdue, Michigan, St. Louis, Northern Kentucky, Valpo, etc.

I was watching an NC State game on ESPN a couple of years ago and when they were running through their lineup at the start of the game they mentioned that every kid on NC State was a multi-sport athlete in HS. The lead off hitter was a 4 year letter winner in 4 sports.

If a coach tells you your kid shouldn't play multiple sports, they're an idiot. If they are the HC of your DD's team, they are being selfish. Find DD another team.

My DD will play basketball & softball all 4 years in HS and will play softball in college.

I actually think this 1 sport idea is a myth because anyone you talk to says multi-sport athletes are better. I have never heard the coach of any major team (MS, HS, College) say a kid should play 1 sport.

Coaches recruiting multi-sport athletes is a piece of trivia that is often taken out of context. College softball coaches recruit athletes. A trait among better athletes is participation in multiple sports. But just because you play multiple sports does not make you a better athlete. Coaches do not recruit based on what a recruit did or did not do in High School or TB. That PGF championship, Gatorade Player of the Year, All State this, All Conference that is meaningless as soon as you step onto the clay in college. You are there because of your skills, not because of what you did back in the day. Local bars are full of High School sport heroes, they even write songs about them. :)

Feb 15, 2016
Coaches recruiting multi-sport athletes is a piece of trivia that is often taken out of context. College softball coaches recruit athletes. A trait among better athletes is participation in multiple sports. But just because you play multiple sports does not make you a better athlete. Coaches do not recruit based on what a recruit did or did not do in High School or TB. That PGF championship, Gatorade Player of the Year, All State this, All Conference that is meaningless as soon as you step onto the clay in college. You are there because of your skills, not because of what you did back in the day. Local bars are full of High School sport heroes, they even write songs about them. :)

Good point and I agree that playing multiple sports doesn't necessarily make you a better athlete, but playing other sports can help hone skills (both physical and mental) that can make you a better softball player. Can playing soccer help with agility and endurance? Probably. Can tennis help agility and hand/eye coordination? Probably. At one point I thought that cross country was probably a sport that didn't help much with a softball player. I have since changed my tune because those CC girls (who actually push themselves) are mentally tough! Go watch the finish line at a HS CC meet. Volleyball and basketball with all the leaping have to help explosiveness. Sure you can go do that on your own...

Jun 1, 2013

All top tier programs you named there. While your player has playing basketball for 4 months, some other player is working hard to get that scholarship your player wants. Why not let logic dictate who is right or wrong on this subject. 1 player playing softball 6 months a year vs 1 player that plays 10 months of the year time 4 years....who is ahead or further devleoped? Both players equal talent to start with, or just use your player for both. I am sure you can see the logic behind that and no college will point that out but it is there. Even if she is good enough for a mid DI, wonder if she had that extra time if she could be major DI. DD tears an ACL or any injury, it better be playing a sport that she can excel in and possibly make college. My DD does play more than 1 sport but softball is 1st.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
FWIW - I have noticed that those that against specialization are typically from areas where due to climate, it is not possible. On there other hand most that argue for specialization tend to be in an area where the climate is more accommodating. I have always said build the athlete then the player. But as rising Juniors in High School they best have it figured out and focused on the process.

Feb 27, 2017

how many of those NC STATE players are playing 2 sports at College???? my guess is NONE.. so they are a little critical to say high school coaches and travel should allow it to happen.

May 17, 2012
This argument really varies by sport. If you want to obtain an elite level you will need to specialize in certain sports.

riseball is right in that ultimately in that once you step on the field no one cares if you shaved a minute off of your cross country time in High School. You are what you consistently do.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Hypothetical question: two softball players perform similarly, kid A has focused only on softball since 12U, kid B played 3 sports through HS. As a college coach, which kid do you take and why?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mkhill45