letting kids play other sports

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 18, 2013
This is the case in MN.

MN has exceptions for softball and baseball and they're are allowed to participate in club practices and/or games during the HS season. Most travel programs shut down during this period or just have optional practices.

A couple of years ago a girl skipped part of the state championship game to be with her travel program. That generated a proposal to change the rule, but I don't think it went anywhere.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
My dd played 3 varsity sports and travel softball all through HS. In Middle school she played every sport they had plus AYSO soccer, and travel SB. She did that plus played in the band. Which on Our HS meant mandatory marching band.

Her TB HC was a 3 sport player in HS. Went on to be All American Div III baseball and played several years at double A. We were lucky as he believed in the multi sport athlete. So rarely was her schedule an issue for him.

She did it all and is glad she did. What made her happy might make your DD miserable. So each kid is different.

Mar 20, 2014
Northwest
DD played basketball through middle school and her first two years of high school. She decided not to play her junior year - it was her decision - so that she could concentrate on softball and her grades. She also watched three of her HS basketball teammates blow their ACLs during games so I think in the back of her mind that was a big issue too.

Jan 28, 2017
I think travel is better than any high school sport. And I know plenty of high school coaches, that don't want the girls playing travel. Which is the dumbest thing to do or say. It makes them better. I encourage my girls to play and practice, but our games(school) are priority. Middle school should never dictate anything, coaches aren't good enough to coach high school or travel. Most are a glorified rec coach!!!![/

Not always. I know this isn't normal but awesome.
MS VB Coach former college player
MS FP Coaches 3 former college players
MS Baseball Coaches former MLB player and former DI player
MS Football Coach former NFL player

Basketball terrible!

Jun 1, 2013
I think travel is better than any high school sport. And I know plenty of high school coaches, that don't want the girls playing travel. Which is the dumbest thing to do or say. It makes them better. I encourage my girls to play and practice, but our games(school) are priority. Middle school should never dictate anything, coaches aren't good enough to coach high school or travel. Most are a glorified rec coach!!!![/

Not always. I know this isn't normal but awesome.
MS VB Coach former college player
MS FP Coaches 3 former college players
MS Baseball Coaches former MLB player and former DI player
MS Football Coach former NFL player

Basketball terrible!

Where in the world is this place? Must be a private school?

Jan 28, 2017
Small public school. Very unquie stituation and better than the HS. All former players from the school.

May 6, 2015
DD just joined a new TB team (10u), and the coach said she does not want to discourage or penalize girls for playing other sports as well. Hope this is truly the case, as DD plays travel soccer (Sept - June) and swims (Nov-Feb, 6-7 week season in summer) as well. we will see, hoping it really works out this way.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
When I was coaching younger players I just wanted to know as soon as possible if they were not going to be at game. I would have to ask one of them to change thier plans if we were down to 8 players for whatever reason.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaci’s biggest fan