Lets see your best Title IX violations.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 18, 2014
And finally, because I am so disappointed in some of the responses.

Let me give you some of the highlights that I would flip my gourd if they were said to my DD.

1. " Unless the program is successful , competitive, and promoted. There's simply no need for anything better than a couple of sets of aluminum bleachers behind the chain link to seat 20 people. "

2, "Is the softball any good?"

3. " There softball field looks decent " ****downplaying the differences, especially when standing next to the palacial facilities****

4. " That's an old field that has a lot of fans willing to give " ***as in they aren't willing to give to you****

5. " Most HS baseball/softball facilities (beyond the basic field) are paid for by the dugout club. So, this thread is stupid. "

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
You are contradicting yourself.

"Hate to say it, but just on these pictures alone, this probably wouldn't qualify as a TitleIX violation unless there are other circumstances"

"(3) other program components (the “laundry list” of benefits to and treatment of athletes). The “laundry list” includes equipment and supplies, scheduling of games and practice times, travel and daily per diem allowances, access to tutoring, coaching, locker rooms, practice and competitive facilities, medical and training facilities and services, publicity, recruitment of student athletes and support services."

That baseball field is better than any of the D1 fields in the state, only behind the two minor league fields in size and possibly higher in quality.

You can't hide behind "they don't have to be equal" to give the baseball team a facility where just the lights alone are a larger investment that the entire softball complex. That has no lights by the way.

No, I am not. That they have a (much) nicer stadium for baseball than softball - that alone does not rise to the level of a TitleIX violation without other factors also in play. It isn't enough. Even lighting wouldn't be enough if you cannot show that it does not afford you similar opportunities for play and practice.

Would the nicer field/stadium be taken in as a consideration in a TitleIX investigation? Yes, in many ways - but by itself it is not necessarily a violation.

As long as there is a similar type of facilities and both teams have access to simialar (not the same), it might be all good. Read the docs I referenced. If 1,000 people turn up for baseball and 100 for softball, you can build seating for the audience. If their field is nicely manicured and maintained and so is yours, that is fine - it doesn't have to be that way. If they stopped you building lights because they annoy baseball - issue. That you don't have lights - that isn't an issue in some ways that is not allowing you to have certain opportunities. And also nicer boys baseball could even be offset by nicer girls soccer - not saying it is, but it can be considered as it is total program that matters - not one sport v another.

If you are denying them the ability to play the sport because of the wants of another program that is a problem. If they have a weight room for baseball's exclusive use and softball has no access to a weight room or are denied usage or can't use it - problem. Same for lockers, facilities and others things.

Just for context: I have been indirectly involved in 4 TitleIX disputes for various reasons.
  • 3 were settled before an investigation where they got 100% of what was asked.
  • 1 went through the whole process where we ended up with not only what they originally wanted, but soccer got a new field, they built a new extra gym for basketball/volleyball, they had to use an independent scheduler for various sports practices and schedules for the next 5 years. Also the AD and assistant AD were 'reassigned' to another school. and 2 school board members resigned. The court came down on them hard.

Last edited:
May 23, 2015
You come to a chatroom with an agenda. You got internet answers with no agenda. Everyone has given you what appears to be their personal experience and you whine about and call them wrong.

It appears as though marriard went way above and beyond to explain this to you.

I suggest you consult a couple of attorneys who specializes in title 9. See what their opinions are.

Every condition you listed I've seen across the country effecting boys and girls. I see no there, there. Maybe I'm wrong but you got my opinion

Feb 18, 2014
You come to a chatroom with an agenda. You got internet answers with no agenda. Everyone has given you what appears to be their personal experience and you whine about and call them wrong.

It appears as though marriard went way above and beyond to explain this to you.

I suggest you consult a couple of attorneys who specializes in title 9. See what their opinions are.

Every condition you listed I've seen across the country effecting boys and girls. I see no there, there. Maybe I'm wrong but you got my opinion

100% agenda, that the ladies sports should not be treated as lesser than the boys sports. Stick by it an equal 100%

And lawyers are one thing, court decisions are another, and I have yet to find a court decision that does not support what I've said. And it looks like the one I provided was not read.

Seems like this is heavily the wrong crowd for title IX to be used in favor of the ladies.

May 23, 2015
100% agenda, that the ladies sports should not be treated as lesser than the boys sports. Stick by it an equal 100%

And lawyers are one thing, court decisions are another, and I have yet to find a court decision that does not support what I've said. And it looks like the one I provided was not read.

Seems like this is heavily the wrong crowd for title IX to be used in favor of the ladies.
Then go for it. Why post it here ? You would be hard pressed to find a group of people that doesn't want to promote Female Athletics then this group.

May 29, 2015
Nothing makes me cranky like some good old favoritism towards the boys.

So to get things started i give you Kearns High School in Utah.

Softball
View attachment 18943
View attachment 18944
View attachment 18945

And Kearns baseball

View attachment 18946
View attachment 18947
View attachment 18948

Tell me that's not some inequality.

Story from a mom whose daughter went there is that two Baseball players made a bet. Whoever made it to the majors first would build a stadium for the school. They did, and they did. They then offered to build a stadium for the softball team and they were told no.

This is the most egregious, but far from the only violation in Utah.

Wow. You have a little bit of privilege still dripping from your lips. Right there, on the side. Let me get you a napkin.

Mar 4, 2015
New England
Most HS baseball/softball facilities (beyond the basic field) are paid for by the dugout club. So, this thread is stupid.

Work on the 10th Commandment " You shall not covet your neighbor's house; you shall not covet your neighbor's hitting facility”

I'm returning to apologize and reconsider my previous response to your response. I hadn't looked at the OP's photos. The softball field in question is fine, probably better than most. Lots of schools have no field at all. They rent a park. So while Title IX made be in play here, and I'm supporter thereof, there's something not quite right about a booster wanting to pour money into the baseball facilities being told, ''No, all money must be donated to the overall sports booster club and divided equally.''

Jun 8, 2016
It makes absolutely no sense to build a stadium like Oklahoma has if a NAIA SB team has 50 or less people at every game. They should have a quality field and training facilities though.
Off topic, but Oklahoma's stadium is actually not that great compared to other teams of similar quality. They were planning on building a new one..not sure if that is happening anymore with all that is going on.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aclee4414