Lets see your best Title IX violations.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 18, 2014
Nothing makes me cranky like some good old favoritism towards the boys.

So to get things started i give you Kearns High School in Utah.

Softball
View attachment GRM_6824.JPG
View attachment GRM_6823.JPG
View attachment GRM_6830.JPG

And Kearns baseball

View attachment GRM_6825.JPG
View attachment GRM_6827.JPG
View attachment GRM_6829_1.JPG

Tell me that's not some inequality.

Story from a mom whose daughter went there is that two Baseball players made a bet. Whoever made it to the majors first would build a stadium for the school. They did, and they did. They then offered to build a stadium for the softball team and they were told no.

This is the most egregious, but far from the only violation in Utah.

Jul 31, 2015
Few years back my local Little League shut down all softball and started 50/70 and 54/80 teams using the freed-up field space.

Jun 16, 2010
Are you familiar with the softball facilities at the vast majority of ~1500 colleges in this country. That's as good or better than most. Very few people come to see softball games.....in college..... Besides a few parents... Unless the program is successful , competitive, and promoted. There's simply no need for anything better than a couple of sets of aluminum bleachers behind the chain link to seat 20 people. So that's what they got.

I know of a confernce that plays their conference tournament..... At a 6A high School field...... Best facilities around on neutral territory. With something like five or six thousand students....... The high school is as big as some colleges..... Has much nicer facilities..... Probably as nice as softball stadiums at all but the top 20 D1 doftball programs ...... Located in a wealthy area. Plenty of parking, etc

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2018
Marikina, Philippines

Softball
View attachment 18943
View attachment 18944
View attachment 18945

And Kearns baseball

View attachment 18946
View attachment 18947
View attachment 18948

Story from a mom whose daughter went there is that two Baseball players made a bet. Whoever made it to the majors first would build a stadium for the school. They did, and they did. They then offered to build a stadium for the softball team and they were told no.

Come on now, and take away land from the freshman football team? I have seen it, and yes in Utah.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida

Softball
View attachment 18943
View attachment 18944
View attachment 18945

And Kearns baseball

View attachment 18946
View attachment 18947
View attachment 18948

Hate to say it, but just on these pictures alone, this probably wouldn't qualify as a TitleIX violation unless there are other circumstances (which there probably is). For example - and I assume there are - there are lockers and weight rooms in the baseball facility that the girls can't get access to or softball has to change their schedule to accommodate baseball in some way. There softball field looks decent, it is in the same location, that the girls have access to without having to consider the baseball schedule and so on. Baseball having a giant stadium and softball having a field and a couple of bleachers is not necessarily a TitleIX violation.

This is a very good description:

"There are three parts to Title IX as it applies to athletics programs: (1) effective accommodation of student interests and abilities (participation), (2) athletic financial assistance (scholarships), and (3) other program components (the “laundry list” of benefits to and treatment of athletes). The “laundry list” includes equipment and supplies, scheduling of games and practice times, travel and daily per diem allowances, access to tutoring, coaching, locker rooms, practice and competitive facilities, medical and training facilities and services, publicity, recruitment of student athletes and support services.

Title IX compliance is assessed via a total program comparison. In other words, the entire men’s and women’s programs are to be compared, not just one men’s team to the women’s team in the same sport. This broad comparative provision was intended to emphasize that Title IX does not require the creation of mirror image programs. Males and females can participate in different sports according to their respective interests and abilities. Thus, broad variations in the type and number of sports opportunities offered to each gender are permitted."

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee