Legal or Not - (Realize this has been a hot topic of late in separate threads)

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 9, 2018
Texas
People only complain about bad calls,rules being broken, etc when they are being negatively effected by it. In my 40+ years of watching diamond sports I’ve yet to see a person whine about the umpire when a call goes for their team..”Good gracious Maud, that pitch to our little pride and joy was better than grits on my birthday. Hey Blue, that pitch to Susie Q was a strike. I hope you get that right next time and ring her up faster than I can skin a rattlesnake..”
I did not think I would be reading this today, "Good gracious Maud,...." you got a laugh out of me. Well, after 16,729 posts. I am voting this as your best work.

Mar 29, 2023
So if a pitcher on your kid's team is hopping you would go tell the umpire..right?
With all due respect, I don't think "most parents won't rat on their own team" is a good justification for cheating being condoned as a standard across the country.

It should be acknowledged as cheating, and umpires should do their job.

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
So if a pitcher on your kid's team is hopping you would go tell the umpire..right?
If a player on your daughter's team got caught using an illegal bat and was ejected from the game, would you get mad, or would you say it was the right move?

Jun 8, 2016
With all due respect, I don't think "most parents won't rat on their own team" is a good justification for cheating being condoned as a standard across the country.

It should be acknowledged as cheating, and umpires should do their job.
I never said anybody should be happy with cheating but the maybe the moral high ground you seem to be oozing should be more of a moral medium ground.. 🤷‍♂️

Jun 8, 2016
If a player on your daughter's team got caught using an illegal bat and was ejected from the game, would you get mad, or would you say it was the right move?
I don't get mad about anything other than my kid sucking. In that particular case I would say it was the right move. Bad calls I will acknowledge as such but you won't see me screaming and yelling about it.

In all honesty I am not really all that invested in whether my kid's team wins or loses other than from the standpoint that more winning means my kid gets to play against better competition typically. Not my job to care about her team doing well..that is her job.

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2023
I never said anybody should be happy with cheating but the maybe the moral high ground you seem to be oozing should be more of a moral medium ground..
It's simply that the rules should be enforced. Leagues and umpires failing to do so is what will cascade down to pitching coaches teaching kids to cheat to get an advantage. There's already another thread of a pitching coach doing just that.

Id prefer we not have a mini game in softball of trying to figure out how much cheating is acceptable, but rather the umpires and leagues enforce the rules they choose. If they want crow hops to be legal, then make it legal.

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
I don't get mad about anything other than my kid sucking. In that particular case I would say it was the right move. Bad calls I will acknowledge as such but you won't see me screaming and yelling about it.
I've seen some people get mad at the umpires for tossing an illegal bat *before* a game. We had one girl have her Ghost tossed in three consecutive HS games during bat checks. The mom lost her mind and started yelling at the umpire. In her defense, she was probably correct because it was paint cracking on a Ghost, but what did she think was going to happen? "Oh, you're right, Ma'am. I'll let Maude's bat continue in today's game."

Jun 8, 2016
It's simply that the rules should be enforced.
and if you are going to tell this to anybody within earshot it shouldn't matter which team is breaking the rules...right? That isn't ratting anybody out..that is upholding the "integrity of the game".

All I am saying is that so many people on here seem so upset by the breaking of the rules in a game. If they are that upset it shouldn't matter who is doing it..

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChippyNole