Legal and Proper Use of Rosin

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 19, 2013
Can anyone enlighten me as to the legal way to have your pitcher use rosin?

I'm curious about having it in a pocket versus on the ground, and is it legal to have it anywhere in the circle.

Also curious about if your pitchers/DDs use it.

Also why is it sometimes like a powder and sometimes like gravel?

Sorry I'm a complete newbie to this area and haven't come up with searching the topic.

Sep 14, 2011
Glendale, AZ
I'm going to comment based on the ASA ruling....I believe most, if not all rule sets are similar.

ASA 6A-6-A (parapharase to address your questions)

Powder resin may be used by the pitcher. It must be left on the ground. Rock resin (the gravel) is not allowed. The pitcher can also use the Gorilla Gold or similar approved drying agent rags, which must be kept in the uniform pocket.

That addresses the rule portions of your questions....I'm sure there are several others on here that can give you information on their experiences with using the resin and/or rags.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Powdered rosin is legal since it does not readily transfer and cling to the ball. It is basically a drying agent. Rock rosin which looks a bit like gravel is not legal since it is tacky and will transfer from the hand to the ball. It is really a hitting aide common in baseball. Pitchers may have a bag of powdered rosin in the circle with them. Most umpires make arbitrary decisions regarding the use. Some will say you can have it in you pocket, others have differing ideas. Some will allow you to go from the bag directly to the ball others want you to wipe your hand first which of course is totally absurd.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IBSoftballDad619