Leg guards

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 24, 2011
So DD's Samurais are literally falling apart - time to get some new leg guards. She's thirteen and in the midst of a growth spurt - 5'4" now, projected to get to 5'10" (the pediatrician was dead on in height projections for my two older sons.)

The budget is a little tight right now, so I'm loathe to drop $100 on the set she loves (after trying on many different models) to have her outgrow them in a year. Should I get a cheap transition set? Buy a set one size up to grow into? Suck it up and buy the best set that fits now and harvest recyclable plastic bottles at friendlies to pay for them? What would you do?

Feb 12, 2014
Do you have a second-hand store such as Play It Again Sports in your area? Might save you some cash and there's no need dumping big bucks into something when DD is growing like a weed!

Mar 23, 2010
Cafilornia
It's not the thing you want to skimp on quality or fit for, but there could be used deals out there. Schutt,All-Star,UA,Rawlings,Wilson gear could be available in decent shape.
Avoid Easton.
Look for knee padding that provides a thick ring of cushioning around the patella. Straps/fasteners can usually be replaced or repaired cheaply.

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2014
Uh oh, my daughter just aquired a brand new pair of Easton's on clearance. She loves them. Says they are very comfortable. Oh well, if they don't last at least I didn't pay much.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Fast-growing catchers' lightly used gear has to end up somewhere. We were always preferred to find a home for DD's outgrown gear rather than have it take up space at home. Catching instructors, org directors, FP facility owners, word of mouth etc all are helpful sources identifying potential recipients.

Mar 23, 2010
Cafilornia
Uh oh, my daughter just aquired a brand new pair of Easton's on clearance. She loves them. Says they are very comfortable. Oh well, if they don't last at least I didn't pay much.

It's not the construction that sucks, it's the lack of adequate padding for the knees. If she's skinny and light, you might be OK.

Jan 26, 2015
NE Kansas

My DD loves her Easton gear. She's on her 2nd set. You might ask her coach if he knows anyone that has an outgrown set for cheap.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06