Catcher's Gearheads

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
I was recently at a large college showcase and they had a Schutt booth. They had the latest and greatest gear out including catcher's gear. I got to look at, and DD got to try on/out their new line, the S3.5 series which will be coming out in Octoberish or so. I have to say, I was very impressed.

Leg guards...they have gotten rid of the excess plastic on the shin portion so that the padding can now form-fit better to the calves of the catchers. This will allow the padding to fit more catchers of various sizes. By the same token, they haven't given up structural strength since they still have the main support up the middle/center of the leg guard along the shin bone to maintain it. It is also of the 3 piece design which gives exceptional protection above the knee. On top of that, they have added extra patellar padding which can be moved up or down according to the needs of the "tweeners." In other words, they are only going to offer them in 1" increments but the patellar padding can be adjusted to fit them whether they are still growing or not. I feel that this a much needed improvement by any manufacturer since it will allow those with catchers that are still growing to buy a larger size and let them "grow into" them. It'll save money in the long run.

The chest protectors offer a new level of comfort. They have incorporated the old Airmax ventilation into their new line of chest protectors. This allows the catchers to stay cool. As well, they have incorporated an interesting "look" to them.

As for the helmets, they have utilized their football helmet impact data into the padding of their catcher's helmets. The padding is the typical gel/foam padding but they have distributed the impact via a series of cones or teats for lack of better words to distribute the impact. That means that the impact of a foul ball to the facemask will be seriously reduced, probably more so than the my favorite helmet, the Wilson FX Shock 2.0. The only caveat I have is that the mask narrows down quickly towards the chin aspect of the helmet. That said, it's a little more elongated which allows total protection of the neck and high collar bone area on a drop and block scenario. A bonus is that the helmet adjusts really well for various sized heads so once again. your catcher can grow into them.

Best of all, everything is supposed to be customizable as far as colors and different patterns go
Overall, I was very impressed with their new series and it will probably be DD's next set of gear come Fall when she's due. I would say that this set is a serious contender to rival anything out there to date if not surpass it.

Last edited:
Dec 19, 2012
How does it compare to the S3.2? I was not impressed with the S3.2 chest protector and leg guards.

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
How does it compare to the S3.2? I was not impressed with the S3.2 chest protector and leg guards.

The chest protector is pretty much the same but made of lighter weight material while still offering a high level of ventilation and protection. The only real difference in the leg guards is the further reduction of the front shin "spine" (for lack of a better word) plastic protection to reduce the weight and allow padding to form fit better. I mean, they really took it down.... to maybe an inch and a half wide. They had the 3.2 leg guards there to compare and I believe the plastic is made of a different style/formula as the S3.5 seemed to be thinner and a little more flexible. I questioned the durability and the Rep, a current Team USA player, said that their current catcher weighs 235 or so, has been using them for over a year now and has had no issues whatsoever with them cracking or the rivets popping.

Probably the biggest difference between the two will be that the S3.5's will be completely customizable up to and including the plastic protective pieces which could be, as an example, poured in a bright yellow tiger striped pattern.

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
get any pictures?

Unfortunately, no I didn't. It was in between games and I was pushed for time since we were getting ready to warm-up so I didn't really think about it. I had planned on going back to talk to them some more after the next game but by the time it was over, they had packed up and left for the day.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00