Wilson Maximotion Leg Guards––Anyone Used Them?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 2, 2011
My daughter must moved up to 12U and is playing fall ball. Last season she used the team's basic Easton catcher's set. Now I am getting her her own set. I have tried a bunch of stuff, so here is some feedback for what has and hasn't worked. My daughter just turned 11 and is one of the smaller girls on the team. At Eric F's suggestion we got the Wilson FX 2.0 helmet. It's great, better than the Diamond and Easton ones we tried. There is much more visibility with the Wilson helmet.

We got the Schutt Scorpion chest protector but her arms got all scraped up at the inside of the forearm (even a little bloody). She said it was rubbing when she went on her knees to block (which happened ALOT!) We have the Wilson one on the way to try.

We got the 12" Wilson Maximotion leg guards and the Schutt 13" to try. The Schutt are a little too big and they don't make a 12" in that model. The Wilson leg guards are incredibly light and comfortable, but her first impression is that they won't be enough protection. Has anyone used them? The plastic doesn't seem as hard, but I assume they have been tested and provide adequate protection.

Any opinions are much valued!!! I tried to search for Wilson leg guards to find some feedback and I couldn't find anything so sorry if there is already a thread on them.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
My daughter must moved up to 12U and is playing fall ball. Last season she used the team's basic Easton catcher's set. Now I am getting her her own set. I have tried a bunch of stuff, so here is some feedback for what has and hasn't worked. My daughter just turned 11 and is one of the smaller girls on the team. At Eric F's suggestion we got the Wilson FX 2.0 helmet. It's great, better than the Diamond and Easton ones we tried. There is much more visibility with the Wilson helmet.

We got the Schutt Scorpion chest protector but her arms got all scraped up at the inside of the forearm (even a little bloody). She said it was rubbing when she went on her knees to block (which happened ALOT!) We have the Wilson one on the way to try.

We got the 12" Wilson Maximotion leg guards and the Schutt 13" to try. The Schutt are a little too big and they don't make a 12" in that model. The Wilson leg guards are incredibly light and comfortable, but her first impression is that they won't be enough protection. Has anyone used them? The plastic doesn't seem as hard, but I assume they have been tested and provide adequate protection.

Any opinions are much valued!!! I tried to search for Wilson leg guards to find some feedback and I couldn't find anything so sorry if there is already a thread on them.

Was this from the velcro? I recall someone else also mentioning this issue. My DD hasn't had any problems at all with the Scorpion chest.

Aug 2, 2011
Yeah, I think it was the velcro Eric. Her coach put some tape over where the velcro attaches, and it seemed to help a little. It seems like if the velcro is attached it shouldn't be exposed. I am going to try a different design and see if it helps. Here are the photos Chaz. I am more worried about the coverage and rigidity of the guards than the inside pads. They are incredibly light. My daughter said she didn't feel like she even had leg guards on. Way lighter than the Shutt's but also smaller. photo 1.JPGphoto 2.JPG

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Which Schutt legs did you get? My DD has the S3's, and they seem very light. The Scorpion legs are a bit heavier.

Jun 4, 2013
Orange County, CA
I just bought the Wilson Promotion set. DD loves the legs, they are so light and fit her leg perfect. I'm really in love with tge inner padding but honestly I never questioned the effectiveness of the outer protective layer. I'm really interested to hear others opinion on it but as of right now DD, DW and I love it

Aug 2, 2011
I think they were the Scorpions Eric. They smallest size is 13" and the Wilson 12" fit her better (hopefully they will in the spring also.

Aug 2, 2011
Bchbum, the ProMotion stuff is different than the Maximotion stuff. It is for bigger girls and is probably heavier duty.

Nov 12, 2009
Kansas City
I asked about the insides as the insides say a lot about the outside. I haven't seen the Maximotion gear up close, but it appears very similar to the idea Schutt has with their Multi Flex leggings. Protect the front of the shin with plastic and the side with lighter padding. My daughter and I use the Schutt leggings at lessons and their gel knee pads don't hold up. Otherwise they are great! Our catchers that use them love 'em. Wilson appears to have done a very nice job with the build of your leggings. Wilson has been putting out some very good products for catchers the last few years. I wouldn't mind giving the Maximotion leggings a try some time. Best of luck. :)

Jun 4, 2013
Orange County, CA
Bchbum, the ProMotion stuff is different than the Maximotion stuff. It is for bigger girls and is probably heavier duty.

Sorry I automatically assumed you were asking about the promotion leg guards. We did see the axmotion gear but DD needed something with a bit more padding. Although I read somewhere that you could change out the maxmotion padding and add the promotion pads. I think they have the same Velcro backing

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aclee4414