Wilson Maximotion Leg Guards––Anyone Used Them?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 19, 2012
My daughter must moved up to 12U and is playing fall ball. Last season she used the team's basic Easton catcher's set. Now I am getting her her own set. I have tried a bunch of stuff, so here is some feedback for what has and hasn't worked. My daughter just turned 11 and is one of the smaller girls on the team. At Eric F's suggestion we got the Wilson FX 2.0 helmet. It's great, better than the Diamond and Easton ones we tried. There is much more visibility with the Wilson helmet.

We got the Schutt Scorpion chest protector but her arms got all scraped up at the inside of the forearm (even a little bloody). She said it was rubbing when she went on her knees to block (which happened ALOT!) We have the Wilson one on the way to try.

We got the 12" Wilson Maximotion leg guards and the Schutt 13" to try. The Schutt are a little too big and they don't make a 12" in that model. The Wilson leg guards are incredibly light and comfortable, but her first impression is that they won't be enough protection. Has anyone used them? The plastic doesn't seem as hard, but I assume they have been tested and provide adequate protection.

Any opinions are much valued!!! I tried to search for Wilson leg guards to find some feedback and I couldn't find anything so sorry if there is already a thread on them.

The Maximotion leg guards should be okay for 12u but I would purchase something more substantial for 14u and up. My dd has used the Wilson ProMotion gear since they came on the market and she loves the gear. While you're at it, get the Maximotion chest protector so she matches......

Aug 2, 2011
Lenski, as I mentioned, the Schutt Scorpion chest protector was chaffing the insides of her forearms. The Schutt was a 13" so I got the 12.5" Wilson and it barely makes it halfway down her stomach. It looks like it fits a kindergartner. The lack of standardization of sizes between companies is frustrating! With all of the return fees I am piling up I could have bought her a new set!

I am still looking for a chest protector so I will take another look at the next size up in Wilson. It looks a little slight as well, so we'll see.

Last edited:
Dec 19, 2012
Eugene, I was just kidding with you.

The way to measure for the chest protector is to measure from the base of the neck (just above the collar bones) to the waist. My dd is 5'5" and she wears the 16.5" chest protector. She also wears 16" leg guards.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish