Lefty Issue

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 15, 2020
Get that thought out of your head. Lefty catchers have a better move on back-picks to 1B, and a better line for fielding bunts. This has been a topic of discussion on DFP multiple times. The upsides and downsides of righty vs. lefty catchers is pretty much a trade-off. Lefty catchers have played at the highest levels of this game, including winning Olympic gold.
See -- you learn so much on here! My DD is not a catcher, but I like that even my own lefty thinking was wrong.

Jul 15, 2020
Another vote for lefty catchers. Don't buy into that "lefty catchers can't throw runners out at third" business. Mind over matter. I have about five videos of DD doing just that on her recruiting page because so many coaches are biased against lefty catchers.

But she should develop her pitching and 1B skills. And RF. And find a team where HC's DD is not a P/1B. I know that at 10U, playing outfield still seems like a punishment, but a great outfielder is super important as girls start aging and developing.
Thanks. I agree with everything you said.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Another vote for lefty catchers. Don't buy into that "lefty catchers can't throw runners out at third" business. Mind over matter. I have about five videos of DD doing just that on her recruiting page because so many coaches are biased against lefty catchers.

But she should develop her pitching and 1B skills. And RF. And find a team where HC's DD is not a P/1B. I know that at 10U, playing outfield still seems like a punishment, but a great outfielder is super important as girls start aging and developing.

For sure. Your lefty C throwing to 3B isn't any harder than my righty throwing to 1B, and that's a skill every righty C is expected to be competent with. Besides, there tends to be a lot more throws to 1B than 3B. A good-throwing lefty C is going to keep runners a step closer to 1B.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
See -- you learn so much on here! My DD is not a catcher, but I like that even my own lefty thinking was wrong.

My suggestion...Get to work on pitching. Keep working on IF and OF skills. Your goal should be to help her develop her all-around softball skill set, which every player on the field needs.

Also, this team won't be the last one she plays on. The next team might be a place where she gets more of the opportunities she wants. Actually, when it comes time to look for the next team, you should be looking for a fit where she will get those opportunities. Start preparing for that now.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Look how many comments about developing players!
Thats what stood out your coach didnt comment towards!
The next coach could say
"Great! A lefty for 1st base!"

Jul 15, 2020
Yep. If she already has pitching experience, and is willing to put in the hard work and dedication to getting better, lefty pitchers are a valuable asset.
We're on it! She's at the moment much more consistent throwing strikes than "the pitchers" on the team, but she needs more speed. But right now, I hope they'd rather have someone throwing strikes and getting the ball into play than walking everyone around the bases. Hopefully she'll get a chance.

May 6, 2015
based on opening post i would keep eyes wide open for new team

-coach stomped on 11 YO's aspirations for no reason other than her handedness. probably because he knows there are 4 (coaches DDs) ahead of her at 1B regardless of abililty. Definitely develop OF skills. hit her tons of fly balls, takes thousands of those to really development the judgement to go get them.
-sitting anyone on the bench at 12u (esp 1st year) is a warning sign to me, no one should sit at that age level more than say 35% of the time. that young it is about development, and you cannot develop on the bench, they need game reps. if she is sitting more than 35% of time, especially if the girls getting the time are making errors, move on.
-keep working on pitching, sounds like she might already be a better option than others, but beware, if other Ps are coaches DDs, might not be possible to crack rotation for anything other than garbage time.

as a new family, always be on the lookout at tournaments and friendlies at the other teams. a lot of them are future potential landing spots. listen to what opposing teams have to say, how they manage games, etc. go to lots of tryouts every year, make it a routine. doesnt mean you have to change, but always good to see what is out there, and gain tryout experience.

Jul 15, 2020
My suggestion...Get to work on pitching. Keep working on IF and OF skills. Your goal should be to help her develop her all-around softball skill set, which every player on the field needs.

Also, this team won't be the last one she plays on. The next team might be a place where she gets more of the opportunities she wants. Actually, when it comes time to look for the next team, you should be looking for a fit where she will get those opportunities. Start preparing for that now.
Thank you. I agree on developing all-around skills (which is why his "no leftys" was so jarring). She's working hard on her pitching, has been working with a coach for a year now and continues to do so. This season, being our first, is a learning experience. I already feel much more prepared for the next one thanks to this forum.

Jul 15, 2020
based on opening post i would keep eyes wide open for new team

-coach stomped on 11 YO's aspirations for no reason other than her handedness. probably because he knows there are 4 (coaches DDs) ahead of her at 1B regardless of abililty. Definitely develop OF skills. hit her tons of fly balls, takes thousands of those to really development the judgement to go get them.
-sitting anyone on the bench at 12u (esp 1st year) is a warning sign to me, no one should sit at that age level more than say 35% of the time. that young it is about development, and you cannot develop on the bench, they need game reps. if she is sitting more than 35% of time, especially if the girls getting the time are making errors, move on.
-keep working on pitching, sounds like she might already be a better option than others, but beware, if other Ps are coaches DDs, might not be possible to crack rotation for anything other than garbage time.

as a new family, always be on the lookout at tournaments and friendlies at the other teams. a lot of them are future potential landing spots. listen to what opposing teams have to say, how they manage games, etc. go to lots of tryouts every year, make it a routine. doesnt mean you have to change, but always good to see what is out there, and gain tryout experience.
Thank you. You said exactly what I felt about the handedness. I think the coaches are really good people, so I was kinda shocked because they come across much more supportive during the course of practices. But between sitting her for most of 4 games (and the entirety of one) that they all lost with a roster of 11 and squashing her determination, I'm looking at them a little differently now. And thanks for all the "new family" advice. I am definitely going to keep my eyes and ears open. Thanks again!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00