Lefty Issue

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Thank you. I agree on developing all-around skills (which is why his "no leftys" was so jarring). She's working hard on her pitching, has been working with a coach for a year now and continues to do so. This season, being our first, is a learning experience. I already feel much more prepared for the next one thanks to this forum.

I joined this form when my DD was 8yo. I knew pretty much nothing about the game, but was ravenous to educate myself in order to be a guide for my DD (it also lead to me becoming a coach on her teams from 10U rec-12U TB). The knowledge I have gained from the DFP community has been a significant factor in my DD's progress, and has helped her get to the highest level of the game for her age. Keep learning. Keep challenging what you think you already know. Whatever the situation, someone here has been there, done that, and can offer input on what they learned.

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2016
The Gatorade HS player of the year for 2020 was a lefty SS. Of course her father was her coach for a good portion of her TB career so I am sure that helped (plus she is a 6 sigma type athlete).

Bring her to the field 2 or 3 times a week and hit her 50 to 100 GB and 50 to 100 fly balls every time. Do this for a few months and then do an honest assessment of where she is compared to her teammates. If she deserves to be playing somewhere in the IF, and the coach is not giving her a shot, find somewhere else to play.

Jul 15, 2020
I joined this form when my DD was 8yo. I knew pretty much nothing about the game, but was ravenous to educate myself in order to be a guide for my DD. The knowledge I have gained from the DFP community has been a significant factor in my DD's progress, and has helped her get to the highest level of the game for her age. Keep learning. Keep challenging what you think you already know. Whatever the situation, someone here has been there, done that, and can offer input on what they learned.
I just joined this summer when my DD decided to play Comp ball and I didn't know anything about it, despite being a player and a coach myself. I got a lot of great advice and guidance so even though I still kinda don't know a lot, I know a lot more than I did going in thanks to this group. And the knowledge around here is awesome! Look at the great answers I got to my lefty question! So grateful for this Brain Trust!

May 24, 2013
So Cal
I just joined this summer when my DD decided to play Comp ball and I didn't know anything about it, despite being a player and a coach myself. I got a lot of great advice and guidance so even though I still kinda don't know a lot, I know a lot more than I did going in thanks to this group. And the knowledge around here is awesome! Look at the great answers I got to my lefty question! So grateful for this Brain Trust!

The true power of the internet is shared knowledge. (IMO, YMMV)

Jul 15, 2020
The Gatorade HS player of the year for 2020 was a lefty SS. Of course her father was her coach for a good portion of her TB career so I am sure that helped (plus she is a 6 sigma type athlete).

Bring her to the field 2 or 3 times a week and hit her 50 to 100 GB and 50 to 100 fly balls every time. Do this for a few months and then do an honest assessment of where she is compared to her teammates. If she deserves to be playing somewhere in the IF, and the coach is not giving her a shot, find somewhere else to play.
Good advice. Thanks!

May 2, 2018
Central Virginia
Ok, just to be fair does the coach work everyone at infield/outfield during practice to develop skills?

Also, did the coach say no infield period or just no middle infield or third. I didn’t see where you specifically said the coach told her she couldn’t try to play 1B or C.

This age (11/12/13) is when you will see many kids start to gravitate towards picking primary positions. Whether you agree or not it’s hard for a lefty to play middle infield and third.

Unless the coach was just completely rude about or doesn’t allow skill development for everyone during practice, I just don’t the issue.

I can’t speak to whether the coach truly plays daddy ball or if the kids are just pretty good, but this can be motivation and a learning experience for you both for if you decide to look for a new team.

May 31, 2018
Allen TX
Yeah a lefty second baseman just doesn't work. If she wants to play at a higher level she needs to get used to outfield.

Surprised that no one has mentioned that the 2020 Gatorade National Player of the Year Jayda Coleman here in The Colony TX is a lefty SS. She was a #1 recruit, and will be playing for Oklahoma this year. Will she play SS for Coach Gasso? Probably not (they are pretty stacked there). She will most likely play CF for OU.

On my 12u team Last year, we would rotate our lefty 1B/OF in at SS periodically and she did fine.

May 1, 2018
Surprised that no one has mentioned that the 2020 Gatorade National Player of the Year Jayda Coleman here in The Colony TX is a lefty SS. She was a #1 recruit, and will be playing for Oklahoma this year. Will she play SS for Coach Gasso? Probably not (they are pretty stacked there). She will most likely play CF for OU.

On my 12u team Last year, we would rotate our lefty 1B/OF in at SS periodically and she did fine.
Yeah I would think she will end up playing CF. I think that falls under "best athlete on the field" exception.

Jul 15, 2020
Ok, just to be fair does the coach work everyone at infield/outfield during practice to develop skills?

Also, did the coach say no infield period or just no middle infield or third. I didn’t see where you specifically said the coach told her she couldn’t try to play 1B or C.

This age (11/12/13) is when you will see many kids start to gravitate towards picking primary positions. Whether you agree or not it’s hard for a lefty to play middle infield and third.

Unless the coach was just completely rude about or doesn’t allow skill development for everyone during practice, I just don’t the issue.

I can’t speak to whether the coach truly plays daddy ball or if the kids are just pretty good, but this can be motivation and a learning experience for you both for if you decide to look for a new team.
It's kind of a mixed bag. Not everyone works at outfield. Infield, most of the time, everyone gets some reps in, with some getting a lot more than others. She doesn't get much time at 1B.

She asked the coach for advice on what to work on to gain an infield position (at this age, we weren't really thinking of specific positions, just what can she do to play infield (vs solely outfield and dugout duty)) and he said, "Leftys don't really play infield." He didn't say, "as a lefty you'd be best suited to 1B so you should work on X Y Z and concentrate on 1 2 3 to earn a spot there." He wasn't rude -- he's a really nice guy -- but it just took the wind out of her sails to be told, "Don't bother, lefty."

There are definitely kids who are stronger players, but let's just say they make a ton of errors, so nobody is standing out as the superstar player(s) so I think all the kids should have a shot at playing time if they earn it. She was asking what she needs to do to earn it and was shot down. Nicely, but shot down. Yes, I'm adding this to our experience learned and we'll see where we go from here. Thanks for the thoughts.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
It's kind of a mixed bag. Not everyone works at outfield. Infield, most of the time, everyone gets some reps in, with some getting a lot more than others. She doesn't get much time at 1B.

She asked the coach for advice on what to work on to gain an infield position (at this age, we weren't really thinking of specific positions, just what can she do to play infield (vs solely outfield and dugout duty)) and he said, "Leftys don't really play infield." He didn't say, "as a lefty you'd be best suited to 1B so you should work on X Y Z and concentrate on 1 2 3 to earn a spot there." He wasn't rude -- he's a really nice guy -- but it just took the wind out of her sails to be told, "Don't bother, lefty."

There are definitely kids who are stronger players, but let's just say they make a ton of errors, so nobody is standing out as the superstar player(s) so I think all the kids should have a shot at playing time if they earn it. She was asking what she needs to do to earn it and was shot down. Nicely, but shot down. Yes, I'm adding this to our experience learned and we'll see where we go from here. Thanks for the thoughts.

At her age, skill development is the most important factor - WAY more important than level of play or how many games they win. Based on what you have posted, it sounds like this team might not be the best fit for your DD's skill development. For the immediate future, I would keep your eyes and ears open on what other teams are doing, and how they're being coached. Start making some mental notes about which teams might be good to look at when it's time to make a move.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RunnerOn2