Lefty Issue

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 15, 2020
For a lefty to be useful on the IF (except 1B), they need to be WAY better than any of the righty options, and even then, you won't get many coaches willing to give it a shot. It might not be fair, but this is pretty standard operating procedure. From what you've described, it sounds like she isn't WAY better than the other options right now, and the road to 1B is pretty unlikely. At 12U, OF probably still feels like a "lesser" position. At 14U, OF becomes critical, and good OFs are very valuable. At 14U and above, there are no good teams with mediocre OFs. The unfortunate thing for leftys is that this is probably her best option, unless...

...how does she feel about becoming a catcher? ;)
You read it correctly. She's new to this level of play and has a lot of catching up to do. Luckily this isn't a great team so she's not that far off. So no, she's is not way better than the others in the position but she wanted it known that she's willing to work at it and wanted guidance on what it would take, only to be told "don't bother, lefty." Pretty tough to hear for an 11 yo. And yes, right now, OF is not seeing much action but at 14U and beyond it's a very important position, so at the very least, I'll work with her on OF skills.

She's not a catcher for lots of reasons. And I thought lefty catchers were rare if ever--throwing around righty batters is very tricky. She does pitch -- she's working hard on that . Her consistency of strikes is good (and what this team needs) but she needs speed. We'll get there. Thanks for the response.

Jul 15, 2020
Hows her height? And Speed?

"Lefties dont really play infield"
Is not correct.

Suggest focus on her attributes being a lefty!
BTW 1st base & Catcher
Are infield positions. ;)
Still wouldnt rule out trying to prove everyone wrong
at 3rd, SS, 2nd !
The angles can be challenging.
Foot work is our friend!
Would not say have to be better than righties, just not weaker.

? Befor joining this team was there conversation with the coach about her role on the team...?
Agree -- 1B is a desired position and she's going to have to get really good at it to displace coaches' daughters. But on this team it seems to be more a possibility than trying for one of the other IF positions. She's not a catcher, sadly.

I did not talk about her role on the team before joining. This is our first ever comp team so as a family we have had a lot to learn and knew this would be a big learning experience for us. It's a good team to be on because they're not great and there are a couple of other ex-pat Rec players who also have some catching up to do. But it is definitely a question I will ask of any future teams she might be a part of so there are no more surprises.

Thanks for the response.

Jul 15, 2020
I'm not a coach but can give you the experience of my two 2007 DDs who are lefties. DD1 started catching 4 years ago and never looked back. She sometimes gets grief about not being a righty but plays the position well and has always been the starting catcher on her teams.

DD2 has primarily played 2B as a lefty but started spending more time in the outfield this past year. She was disappointed at first but, as the girls get older, outfield becomes really important. Now she's about 3/4 outfield, 1/4 infield. Current, new team wants to shift her to 1B since she has a great glove.

I've had frank conversations with a variety of coaches regarding lefties and almost all of them are focused on putting them at OF, 1B, P, and sometimes C.
Thanks for the response, especially from the lefty experience. My DD is not a catcher so if she wants to play, we're going to have to work on those OF skills and improve her glove for 1B duties so she can (possibly) get in on the coaches' daughters hold on the position while she continues to work on her pitching. Need to keep reminding her (and me) that this is a game of development and what is going on in 12U is not necessarily how it's going to be later on.

Sep 13, 2020
My lefty daughter has never had an issue throwing around a right-handed batter. Certainly not on a throw to 2nd and only on batter interference on a throw to 3rd. If she wants to play catcher (and she has to really want to) then that may be a good option. If she does the coach won't let her (because she's a lefty) then you may want to consider another team ... that's really old school thinking.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Agree -- 1B is a desired position and she's going to have to get really good at it to displace coaches' daughters.

But on this team it seems to be more a possibility than trying for one of the other IF positions. She's not a catcher, sadly.

I did not talk about her role on the team before joining. This is our first ever comp team so as a family we have had a lot to learn and knew this would be a big learning experience for us. It's a good team to be on because they're not great and there are a couple of other ex-pat Rec players who also have some catching up to do. But it is definitely a question I will ask of any future teams she might be a part of so there are no more surprises.

Thanks for the response.
AHHH-HA...
Exposed is the reason the coach said lefties dont play infield!
What he REALLY meant was your lefty dd cant play first cuz his dd's do!

Just sayin
Lefty at first is kinda normal...

*Always have conversation on how a possible new coach is considering a kids/players role on the team befor joining!

Jul 15, 2020
Meh anyone that says someone can't play a position due to their handedness at that age is silly imo. Play better than the person in the position you want to play and you get the spot. Doesn't matter if you throw with your feet.
That's kinda what I thought -- I kinda hate the notion of kids being washed up at 10 because of certain traits that they have no control over. Especially again when playing for a team that it really doesn't matter -- nobody is going to the Majors any time soon. She'll still work to improve her game -- I just hope the coaches will give her a chance or a look if she deserves it. Even if she's a lefty.

Jul 15, 2020
AHHH-HA...
Exposed is the reason the coach said lefties dont play infield!
What he REALLY meant was your lefty dd cant play first cuz his dd's do!

Just sayin
Lefty at first is kinda normal...

*Always have conversation on how a possible new coach is considering a kids/players role on the team befor joining!
To be fair, my DD needs to up her game, even at first. She was my best player on our Rec team, but now she's playing with kids who have only played Comp and the skill set is definitely different (refreshingly so). So she has some catching up to do, and is willing to put in the work. It's just a little demoralizing to hear it might not be worth it because "your kind doesn't play infield."

Thanks for the conversation tip too. I still might have that conversation -- I'm only one payment in :p

Jul 15, 2020
My lefty daughter has never had an issue throwing around a right-handed batter. Certainly not on a throw to 2nd and only on batter interference on a throw to 3rd. If she wants to play catcher (and she has to really want to) then that may be a good option. If she does the coach won't let her (because she's a lefty) then you may want to consider another team ... that's really old school thinking.
Thanks for the response. That's good to hear. My daughter is definitely not a catcher, so that option is out for her. She needs to work on her OF skills (which is not her desire as at our level, OF does not see much action) while upping her 1B and pitching skills. This season is our first at comp so it's been a learning experience so far.

Aug 19, 2015
Atlanta, GA
Another vote for lefty catchers. Don't buy into that "lefty catchers can't throw runners out at third" business. Mind over matter. I have about five videos of DD doing just that on her recruiting page because so many coaches are biased against lefty catchers.

But she should develop her pitching and 1B skills. And RF. And find a team where HC's DD is not a P/1B. I know that at 10U, playing outfield still seems like a punishment, but a great outfielder is super important as girls start aging and developing.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
salgonzalez