Learning to give back, and learning to hold back.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
Not a softball story, but I'm proud none the less. My oldest nephew finished up his 4 years of D2 in 2014, and like most of us have experienced after ball, it leaves a void in your life. Some go play in area men's league baseball, some the slow pitch beer leagues, some go umpire, some do nothing.

My nephew, and 3 of his friends that grew up together ( all ex-college players ) decided to give back to the game that they love. They approached one of the longest standing travel ball orgs in the area ( established mid 70's ) and asked if there were any coaching positions available.

Going in, they figured they would be split up to teams who needed an extra assistant coach here and there. But just so happens a team of 9 year olds needed a full set of instructors. They jumped at the opportunity and seem to be having the time of their lives working with the young men.

Now my brother and I have coached for years, and watched others coach our kids, but this is the first experience where our kid(s) have taken the reins of managing a team of their own. It's been a learning experience for us who feel.............old and now limited to spectate. :(

The funny part is our father, is loving every minute watching us squirm, scratch our heads, jump out of our seats, playing the new role of arm chair coaching our kid(s) as THEY coach. He's been through this before, coaching us his whole life, then forced as others in HS and college coached us, then watched us coach our children while he was helplessly stuck behind the other side of the fence.

Although I think dad is wrong:rolleyes:, he often reminds us that we were not TB coaching material out of the gate either, that we made PLENTY of rookie coaching mistakes. The most hilarious part happened last weekend at a tournament, my brother and I always sit side by side and dad on the end. A couple of managing mistakes and brother and I start ( quietly ) discussing if there is a sane person on the coaching staff. My father gets up, tells us to scoot apart and sits in between, separating us like children.

The 3 of us walking to the parking lot reminded me of our youth, dad once again giving us advice. "If you two can't peacefully watch your kid coach a team of random players, you'll never make it through watching them coach your grandchildren, trust me, I've watched you big dummies try coaching for years". ( gotta love dad lol )

Any others now watching their kids coach?

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
Not a softball story, but I'm proud none the less. My oldest nephew finished up his 4 years of D2 in 2014, and like most of us have experienced after ball, it leaves a void in your life. Some go play in area men's league baseball, some the slow pitch beer leagues, some go umpire, some do nothing.

My nephew, and 3 of his friends that grew up together ( all ex-college players ) decided to give back to the game that they love. They approached one of the longest standing travel ball orgs in the area ( established mid 70's ) and asked if there were any coaching positions available.

Going in, they figured they would be split up to teams who needed an extra assistant coach here and there. But just so happens a team of 9 year olds needed a full set of instructors. They jumped at the opportunity and seem to be having the time of their lives working with the young men.

Now my brother and I have coached for years, and watched others coach our kids, but this is the first experience where our kid(s) have taken the reins of managing a team of their own. It's been a learning experience for us who feel.............old and now limited to spectate. :(

The funny part is our father, is loving every minute watching us squirm, scratch our heads, jump out of our seats, playing the new role of arm chair coaching our kid(s) as THEY coach. He's been through this before, coaching us his whole life, then forced as others in HS and college coached us, then watched us coach our children while he was helplessly stuck behind the other side of the fence.

Although I think dad is wrong:rolleyes:, he often reminds us that we were not TB coaching material out of the gate either, that we made PLENTY of rookie coaching mistakes. The most hilarious part happened last weekend at a tournament, my brother and I always sit side by side and dad on the end. A couple of managing mistakes and brother and I start ( quietly ) discussing if there is a sane person on the coaching staff. My father gets up, tells us to scoot apart and sits in between, separating us like children.

The 3 of us walking to the parking lot reminded me of our youth, dad once again giving us advice. "If you two can't peacefully watch your kid coach a team of random players, you'll never make it through watching them coach your grandchildren, trust me, I've watched you big dummies try coaching for years". ( gotta love dad lol )

Any others now watching their kids coach?

Not yet, although my dd did help me coach a bitty basketball team the last 2 winters. But just today she told me she is going to take the exam to be an umpire. I told my wife that there is no way we could go to watch her ump. The first parent with a big mouth would be my first in the stands fight.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
Not yet, although my dd did help me coach a bitty basketball team the last 2 winters. But just today she told me she is going to take the exam to be an umpire. I told my wife that there is no way we could go to watch her ump. The first parent with a big mouth would be my first in the stands fight.

Man I tried umpiring for 1 year, wasn't for me, so I chose the lesser of 2 evils and coached. lol

Nov 29, 2009
I've watched you big dummies try coaching for years". ( gotta love dad lol )

I would love to meet your dad. He sounds like a no nonsense guy who has lived a lot of life and learned it's lessons well. It sounds like you and your brother are REALLY proud to call him dad.

Oct 4, 2011
Colorado
Wonderful story, thanks so much for sharing it! My son's high school summer Legion team will be coached by two young men who are college sophomores. I'll have to keep an eye out for their parents, I'm sure they'll be there!

P.S - Gotta love grandparents; they always think their grandchildren are perfect :)

Last edited:
Oct 7, 2014
Upper Midwest
I didn't get to see it. DD1 finished freshman year of college ball last week Thursday. Two days later she was on 1B starting her summer PT job as an AC at a tournament. She texted me after game 1 was a blowout. "A lot of firsts. Got cussed at by oppo team's dads. And apologized to after by oppo team's moms. Here we go!"

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Yes, I am watching my DD coach a HS varsity team. She is a much better coach than I was. She is coaching at the HS where she played...pretty surreal.

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2010
In your face
P.S - Gotta love grandparents; they always think their grandchildren are perfect :)

Amen to that, I didn't think my brother and I could do anything right, now these dang grandkids can't do anything wrong? lol

Dad didn't always make all our games, work related, but he made as many as he could. Once he retired, he spent more time away watching the grandkids then he did at home. Believe he told us last year that family ball has taken him to 31 states to observe. Now that the shoe is on the other foot, work sometimes keeps us parents away, but mom and dad always make the trip, keep us up play by play on the phone. Heck sometimes if the tournaments were close enough he'd go watch one play on Friday, travel a couple hundred miles and watch another play Saturday, and travel again and watch the third play on Sunday. If that's what retirement is like.............I can't WAIT!!!

Includes a yearly 1800 mile trip to watch youngest play for the Air Force Falcons.
463d61584d4df2d7def3bc33df9d3956_zpssefkeleb.jpg
[/IMG]

113d8ad5d6badd7113054c38740c3674_zpsqgheuko2.jpg
[/IMG]

8933ea1eab975c2995cbb40a00a310b6_zpsqjiiy9im.jpg
[/IMG]

If there's a ballgame, he's there!!! lol

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member