Leap and Drag... Literally

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 18, 2013
After watching may videos of my 12U DD, I noticed that she really doesnt push off the mound. Its more of a leap with the right foot, shes a lefty, and dragging the push foot with a push off the mound after she has already landed. I assume she does this to get the knees together. She tends to cross the powerline. I assume it because she is using the stride leg to leap out.

I read through JS's article but I did not see any drills to get the pitchers to actually push. She looks like she loads and then uses the hip to swing the stride leg through. I tell her to drive the stride knee like she is running up a flight of stairs 2 steps at a time, but its not sinking in.

Any ideas, common at this age??

Jeff

javasource

6-4-3 = 2
May 6, 2013
Western NY
Hey Jeff,

It's common at all ages. I find that getting what some call a "negative move" into her pre-motion will help greatly. This negative move would be a transfer of weight rearwards... so that she has more forward momentum to help her push off the plate. Also, when pushing with her right foot, make sure her drive foot isn't 'flat' on the plate. It's best to push from the balls of the foot, and not let the heel collapse.

I'm updating the drive mechanics thread... wrapping up on the core... and then I intend to start including some drills. In the interim, get her performing this negative move rearwards so that her forward move (drive) has more energy. I can send you a couple ideas offline, too if you so desire. Just hit me up. Best ~JS

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jtp1221