Leadoff bunt?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 4, 2018
Particularly doing it every time. Much easier to defend if you know what's coming.

He might be trying to test the waters, to see how good they are at fielding the bunt and how they cover it. So far it sounds like the teams you're playing are pretty good at it.

We've played teams who do this. We move our 1B and 3B way, way up. They still bunt. They get out.

Mar 10, 2020
10u dd had a coach like this.
Even had her bunt against teams we played regularly.
Started getting out end of season. Moved up to 12u new coach lets her read the defense and mix in her swing.
Stopped the corners from crowding. She'll swing at times then bunt.
Back to getting on base.

Dec 10, 2018
I think it really depends... My 14u DD bats leadoff and is a slap hitter. She will drag bunt or soft slap most of the time to start the game and this year her OBP is approaching .650 against some very good teams. She's very quick down the line and the opposing team has to be PERFECT to even have a chance at getting her out. If she's safe at first, she's on 2nd the very next pitch and her SB success rate is .978 this year. If she's on base with less than 2 outs, the chances of her scoring is extremely good.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
As has been noted...the problem is not the bunting. The problem is getting thrown out.

A 14U team of mine had a ridiculously fast leadoff hitter. If 3B was behind the bag, she would bunt. It was taking candy from a baby. She never got thrown. Then, she would steal 2nd on the first pitch. We started a lot of games with a runner at 2B, no outs, and one strike on our #2 hitter.

She was also a good hitter...so, her next at bat, the IF and OF would move in, and she would drill one.

Mar 7, 2016
Funny story on this one... I always do a little homework on teams we play (mostly because im bored and killin time at work). We drew a team this past summer that had some Facebook live videos of previous games. I noticed while scouting them that every time a girl lines up on the right side of the box they bunted. Then switched back to right side once they had 2 strikes. No actual lefties on the team. So when we faced them every time they went to right side our 1B and 3B were right on top of them. The looks those players gave that coach was pretty funny. The coach was not amused at all... lol

May 4, 2020
DD's coach always starts the game with a bunt from the leadoff hitter. It rarely works. What is the strategy to doing this? Seems like you are always starting the game with a likely out instead of giving your leadoff a chance to get on base. Thoughts?
Lead off batter’s job is to get on base by any means possible. Hit, walk, HBP, catchers interference, etc...
Having said that if lead-off hitter can’t lay down and execute a good bunt she shouldn’t be your leaf off batter.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Go_Ask_Mom