Leadoff bunt?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 17, 2019
DD's coach always starts the game with a bunt from the leadoff hitter. It rarely works. What is the strategy to doing this? Seems like you are always starting the game with a likely out instead of giving your leadoff a chance to get on base. Thoughts?

May 6, 2015
age group / level ?

if you have a young team that really struggles to hit, and you have someone with lots of speed, I can see this, but it is approaching the definition of insanity (repeating behaviours expecting different results)

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
Particularly doing it every time. Much easier to defend if you know what's coming.

He might be trying to test the waters, to see how good they are at fielding the bunt and how they cover it. So far it sounds like the teams you're playing are pretty good at it.

May 1, 2018
I can see showing bunt and pulling back to see defensive movement (age group dependent). But actually laying one down no

Jul 17, 2019
Age group is 12/13 and this is a team of solid hitters. I can see showing bunt to test the defense and then pulling back. However if first attempt is fouled off he still keeps the bunt on....even though they now know you’re bunting. Insanity yes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oct 26, 2019
I think some coaches have a hard time not being "involved" in the game. I mean, how can the kids be expected to go out and win unless he/she isn't making calls and outsmarting everyone else in the ballpark? After all, they're only girls. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
This is spot on - sometimes the hardest thing to do as a coach is nothing (and just let the girls play).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478