Wet Ball - Grip changes?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 13, 2012
I've always heard as a fielder to grip the ball tighter and on the seams when it is wet/slippery. I recently heard a coach tell players to grip the ball less when it is wet/slippery. What are your thoughts?

Jun 16, 2022
I've always heard as a fielder to grip the ball tighter and on the seams when it is wet/slippery. I recently heard a coach tell players to grip the ball less when it is wet/slippery. What are your thoughts?
After fielding a ball in a game when the timing of the throw matters, do you really ever take the time to adjust your grip to the seams before making the throw? I don't think so.

Oct 4, 2018
After fielding a ball in a game when the timing of the throw matters, do you really ever take the time to adjust your grip to the seams before making the throw? I don't think so.

It's an interesting question and I'm curious what people who have played the game at a high level will say.

I played baseball a lot, but never into college. I'm above-average from the pool of parents, for sure.

When I'm playing catch with my kid, I can adjust the ball in my hand to have fingers on the seams during my transfer. Doesn't take any extra time, but does take extra focus.

Jun 8, 2016
You are on a (seam) mission today..

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2016
It's an interesting question and I'm curious what people who have played the game at a high level will say.

I played baseball a lot, but never into college. I'm above-average from the pool of parents, for sure.

When I'm playing catch with my kid, I can adjust the ball in my hand to have fingers on the seams during my transfer. Doesn't take any extra time, but does take extra focus.
I think a 4 seam grip for an IF in baseball is probably more important than in fastpitch. A guy throwing a 2 seamer 90 mph from the 5-6 hole might have the ball move 6 ft by the time it gets to first. Not as much of an issue in fastpitch. I do remember trying to manipulate the ball in my transfer to get a 4 seam grip. It's also probably easier to do with a smaller ball and bigger hands and you typically have more time in baseball.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles