Lead...Freeze...Steal!!?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Huskerdu

With Purpose and Urgency
Sep 4, 2011
I need some help, our rec team is moving up to competitive and I keep having these crossover experiences from my years playing and coaching baseball.

I have taught my players all 1st year 12u (most have played 1+ years), to start their lead (when/as the ball leaves the pitcher's hand), then freeze in place to determine what is happening at the plate. It keeps kids from advancing at the crack of the bat and being doubled off on a pop fly. The purpose of freezing is to make sure they see what is going on on the field, over throws back to the pitcher, past balls, etc. that would allow them to advance to second.

Now we have been giving steal signs to our girls and I am wondering if I should have the girls lead...freeze...then steal if they know it is not a pop fly. We could steal second every pitch without a throw down just because of the level of ball, but I don't want the girls to begin to develop a habit and not watch what is going on on the field...or if a pop fly occurs.

Can someone advise me about this approach and any new ideas.

Thanks!!

Nov 29, 2009
First: How are you having your kids setup on the base? What I teach mine is to have the front foot on the front or rear corner of the base depending if they like to start left or right foot forward. I have them in a standing sprinter start with the arms in position to be used immediately.

Have them start moving when the pitcher's arm hits the 12:00 position. By the time the ball is released they have reacted and are on the move by the time the ball leaves the pitcher's hand. The first two steps are like they are stealing the base. Between the 2nd and 3rd steps they are to look home as see what it going on. If the ball is passed the catcher or if the ball is put in play they go or stop depending on what is happening. If nothing is happening I have them stop hard and face the catcher looking for the throw back to the base.

On a steal it is a straight GO... They do not take a look. They go. When they are halfway to the base I tell them to glance at home to see what it going on so they know what type of slide they may need.

It sounds like a lot for a young team, but the kids will learn it. It will take some time.

Huskerdu

With Purpose and Urgency
Sep 4, 2011
The sprinter's pose is what we are teaching them, it is a delecate balance because the umpires at that level like to get involved with the game a little too much and they like to ring players up for leaving early.

That being the case, I am trying to teach them to glance to the plate to see what is going on, but you are right they are going to have to have repetition to get used to doing that.

What is your opinon about the lead and freeze approach?

Jan 12, 2011
Vienna, VA
On a steal I want them to go and not look at what the catcher is doing. Slide unless the coach yells "stand up". If they see the fielder receive the ball in front of them and are not at the point of no return turn around and hope you can get out of a pickle.

To avoid the double play you can give your batter a take sign. Have the batter show bunt and then take which many times will draw a ball.

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2009
What is your opinon about the lead and freeze approach?

The short answer... Rec ball and poor.

Why would you have your runner start, stop and then try and re-start again? You're giving up the advantage of the running start off of the bag. If they are going on a steal they need to go and not worry about anything else. They only stop if they are not stealing and the ball is not put in play.

Huskerdu

With Purpose and Urgency
Sep 4, 2011
I agree with you on the steal, I was thinking more of the second scenario of having them get their lead and teaching them to freeze on a non-steal situation.

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
I teach my U12s to blast out with 3 quick steps on every pitch. that way if the ball goes by the catcher they can take off for the next base, if the ball is hit - they are closer to the next base. If the ball is in the air, they are in a good position to keep moving but wait and see if it is caught, in which case they can still get back to the bag.

Oct 13, 2010
Georgia
If they are stealing they want to get as early a lead as possible, out at 1st (called out for leaving early) or safe at 2nd (no chance for the catcher to throw them out). If not stealing, they should leave a little late, where they don't have to stop if the ball is hit.

Nov 8, 2010
The only time we freeze is if we are attempting a delay steal, then its just a matter of the runner reacting to whatever the catcher (and fielders) do. On a straight steal, they just go. No time to look for the ball. We will call for a take sometimes to the batter to make sure the pop fly does not create a double off situation. Other times it's a fake bunt. But, sometimes we just gamble with a fast runner and good hitter!

Oh yeah, and at 12u....they really need to learn to slide correctly!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OAFSoftballMom#1