Latest video of DD

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
I too have enjoyed looking at Brooke's progression. She looks great in the video. My dd also stands "pigeon toe" when she hits. It has not hurt her average, finishing, or power. In fact, she thinks it helps get her hips through better.

Last edited:

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Not saying standing "pigeon toe" was right or wrong. I can understand it may help in opening of the hips. I over analyzed a video more than I should have. I too have followed and enjoyed Brooke's progression. I did not want it to appear negative.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Not saying standing "pigeon toe" was right or wrong. I can understand it may help in opening of the hips. I over analyzed a video more than I should have. I too have followed and enjoyed Brooke's progression. I did not want it to appear negative.

IMO, it didn't come across that way - I took it as if you were trying to see if you were understanding what you were seeing so that you could apply it yourself. IMO, any and all movement of the back foot should be initiated by the hips.

R

RayR

qswnjc.gif

Quick observation/comment....

Hand path is a little too circular....the front elbow should eventually un bend as part of post contact extension....I would try and see if she can tighten up the hand path (closer to her body....tighter "V" of the back arm)....too much of this swing will eventually lead to pulling off early....

Her front elbow is elevating too much too soon - also think about driving forward with the front elbow and keeping the hands behind the front elbow a little longer...the elbows should not be connected....as the back elbow slots the front one shouldn't elevate as if connected....

Yes, her head movement is an issue and if she can work the hand path more independently of the shoulders this should clean itself up....

The question to ask is if she is facing a drop or drop curve...will this swing be able to adjust if the front elbow is locked in a bent position?

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
I didn't have any pro or con about the "pigeon toe" set. I saw what the rear foot heel did. I saw it kind of spin back to be even with the front of her foot. I tried to do this same move (rear foot heel)from the same set up. I found there was only one way I could get my heel to copy that same move. I'm new at this and I just don't understand as much as I should before commenting. Like I said Brooke swing looks good.

May 16, 2010
qswnjc.gif

Her front elbow is elevating too much too soon - also think about driving forward with the front elbow and keeping the hands behind the front elbow a little longer...the elbows should not be connected....as the back elbow slots the front one shouldn't elevate as if connected....

I totally disagree with that.

She starts with her front elbow well down. It must lift. If you start with the front elbow up, then what you say is partly true. It doesn't lift as much.

Barry Bonds and Robby Cano appear to be doing it all wrong, according to what you stated. Their elbows are connected and the front one lifts a lot, and early.
I agree that she should let the hands go at contact and extend after contact, as Cano does below.

bonds-elbows.gif
canohrderby2.gif

Last edited:
R

RayR

Look where this pitch is to Bonds....up in the zone....the ball on the tee is mid thigh....why would the elbow elevate that high for a ball mid thigh? Get some clips up that are apples to apples re: location....

As far as the Cano clip....it doesn't support your argument....Cano's front elbow is not lifting...it is driving forward...the space between his elbow decreases as the back elbow slots....they are not connected.

A very good model below -

5upvzk.gif

Last edited:
May 16, 2010
Look where this pitch is to Bonds....up in the zone....the ball on the tee is mid thigh....why would the elbow elevate that high for a ball mid thigh? Get some clips up that are apples to apples re: location....

As far as the Cano clip....it doesn't support your argument....Cano's front elbow is not lifting...it is driving forward...the space between his elbow decreases as the back elbow slots....they are not connected.

A very good model below -

5upvzk.gif

Here's a low pitch. His elbows still work together, and the front one raises.

bonds7.gif

And, to repeat what I stated before; if the elbow is already up then what you say is true. The girl above has her elbow up to begin with. Bonds and the girl we're discussing, start with it down. If it is down it must raise early, so that it is up when the back elbow gets down.

Last edited:
R

RayR

Look, I think it is a good swing....but I stand by my previous comments....too much elbow elevation too soon...it creates a path that she cannot stray from....so she ends up locked into her shoulders...too steep of a barrel path...practice this too much and you end up pulling off the ball and will get killed with breaking pitches, off speed and outside stuff....just sayin...

her elbow position is fine....it does not need to elevate from there....

f87.JPGf88.JPGf89.JPGf90.JPG

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi