Last pitch of Alabama v. Oklahoma game

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
Based on the first couple games, I'd say the K zone needs some kalibrating... I thought Osorio had pretty good speed and backspin.

Last edited:

javasource

6-4-3 = 2
May 6, 2013
Western NY
I never complain about officials... so this is a first...

K zone or not... their ability to identify an outside pitch this year is horrible. It ain't an easy job... but holy smokes... it's uncomfortable to even watch.

Apr 5, 2013
Back on the dirt...
Based on the first couple games, I'd say the K zone needs some kalibrating... I thought Osario had pretty good speed and backspin.

While I agree with you, it is also showing where Blue is giving OU both sides of the plate but not Michigan. I wish I had the time and skill to find and compare video. But to me it isn't even close.

K zone or not... their ability to identify an outside pitch this year is horrible. It ain't an easy job... but holy smokes... it's uncomfortable to even watch.

I agree! I'm pulling for OU cause I'm a BIG XII homer, but this game doesn't really seem fair.

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
At one point last night, after yet another errant called strike, mendoza blurted out ... "that was definitely not a strike".

She's generally a rather politically correct commentator ... but I think the bad umpiring has even gotten to her.

The umpires should be embarrassed. The command of the strike zone is not even good enough for HS ball.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
I now hear the commentators making excuses for the umpires. Apparently the k-zone detects the strike-zone towards the end of the strike-zone and isn't taking into account the balls LATE and SHARP movement.

The umpire's may be brain-washed to believe in LATE and SHARP movement. If so, then an introduction to basic physics should help clear their misconception up. Also might help if they trained their eyes appropriate and used a relaxed open focus.

Have to smile when Michele mentions the rise ball jumping and how some pitcher's aren't getting the ball to jump correctly. If she could be educated on the topic then that may help with the spreading of such misconceptions.

Oct 10, 2012
Oklahoma
I never complain about officials... so this is a first...

I have been to several of the games this year and was fortunate enough to score tickets right behind the umpire about ten rows up. I'm by far an expert umpire but I can defenitley tell you the corners are not being called consistently at all. Granted, the ball moves in and out as it nears and crosses the plate but these umpires should be able to see that. Just my opinion..... Michigan got hosed on several outside corner pitches that were strikes but we're not called.
With all that being said, the ball is screaming in there pretty darn fast so I can understand a few get missed from time to time. But hey, who else can we yell at when a pitch isn't called?? :)

Nov 12, 2013
maritimes
all of the slow motion pitches called riseballs by the announcers i have seen have had bullet spin.

also hate the armband pitch calling. need a signal for swinging next.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
YOUNGG