Lafayette ... any comments on their hitter's mechanics?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 17, 2009
Most excited I've been to watch a game in forever. Saw it on TV and was like yeah! looking for a Ragin Cajun t-shirt online now.

thumb.aspx

Love everything about how they are working. Take a bat out of their hands and make fist instead and that motion of turn the barrel NOW is one of my favorite cues for the hands. That and the Joey Votto dugout gif a while ago, inside, inside, turn it, turn it. Get it turned and use every other mechanic to let you turn it as late as possible and using the biggest muscles possible to pull it through and power it.

But my favorite is the coach taking a time out call almost every at bat to call the hitter down to talk about MECHANICS! So interesting that he is facing Candrea. This should lead off Sportscenter, or Sportscience, or whatever, it's that interesting and that good a story.

Want to get pumped up for summer? 2014 NCAA softball tournament -- Coach Michael Lotief fights for Louisiana-Lafayette Ragin' Cajuns

That pitcher is awesome too : ) Cajuns pitcher brings expanded repertoire, fresh shades to super regional : Softball

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2011
Pacific Northwest
great day of softball.

I cannot wait to see how this plays out.

is keeping the ball outside going to come into play? or will they just crowd the plate?

who is their batting coach?

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
Despite what the clueless announcers say, when you hit with a rhpp like ULL does, an open front foot does not take you away from the plate. I like how they said last night "U of A should keep the ball outside with all the ULL hitters open, but they don't seem to be having trouble with the outside pitch tonight." Espn, just because your announcers...well D1 coaches...I need a job in the industry.

Next team...go up and inside in the zone. Coach Lotief, your hitters do an execptional job of turning the barrel. Some of the girl's overcook it, getting barrel too low behind them, that is what I would explot against them. Just a weakness I am sure they will adjust to.

Mann, Lotief is hittin obsessed.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Despite what the clueless announcers say, when you hit with a rhpp like ULL does, an open front foot does not take you away from the plate. I like how they said last night "U of A should keep the ball outside with all the ULL hitters open, but they don't seem to be having trouble with the outside pitch tonight." Espn, just because your announcers...well D1 coaches...I need a job in the industry.

Next team...go up and inside in the zone. Coach Lotief, your hitters do an execptional job of turning the barrel. Some of the girl's overcook it, getting barrel too low behind them, that is what I would explot against them. Just a weakness I am sure they will adjust to.

It was more than just the announcers .... in fact one announcer stated that the ULL batters hit the outside pitches with authority. Candrea was quoted as saying his pitchers needed to pound the outside edge to take advantage of the ULL approach.

Lotief called his batters over to the 3b coach's box and reiterated to them not to drop the barrel early ... or at least that is what his hand gestures seemed to indicate.

Oct 10, 2011
Pacific Northwest

no Kidding, I like this guy.

I follow you, Redhot, if you let the ball get in deep, and hit it AT, the back hip, they should be fine.

But their arms are awfully long on some of those pitches, hitting just the end of the bat.

I cannot wait for someone to try your suggestion, up and in.

I will go back and lock at the pitch locations on the long balls.

getting the front hip cleared out of they way, is one of the things I have been working on with my hitters.
I was having them get open a bit easier by stepping with foot open, but this approach might be very beneficial to some of the more troublesome.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
matt_g