Kenzie Fowler over use injury?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 14, 2011
Field of Dreams
Kenzie Fowler has thoracic outlet syndrome in which the nerves and blood vessels to the arm are compressed as they exit the chest. If you want TMI on the subject, more medically oriented (but factual), google "thoracic outlet syndrome emedicine" and it will discuss the causes. The following excerpt is taken directly from that site.

"Thoracic outlet syndrome is most often seen in patients who engage in repetitive motions that place the shoulder at the extreme of abduction and external rotation. An example of such activity is swimming, especially with the freestyle stroke, butterfly stroke, and backstroke. When a swimmer reports tightness and pain around the shoulder, neck, and clavicle as his or her hand enters the water, thoracic outlet syndrome should be suspected. In addition to swimmers, other athletes affected by thoracic outlet syndrome include water polo, baseball, and tennis players and athletes in any other activity that places repetitive stress on the shoulder at the extremes of abduction and external rotation. These individuals may present with neurologic and arterial or venous symptoms. ..... Baseball (read softball) players, whose sport requires repetitive throwing motions, are at increased risk for arterial thoracic outlet syndrome in their dominant arm. "

That being said, I believe that if repetitive use was the only cause, this syndrome would be much more common in softball pitchers than is currently seen. My guess is that there is some anatomic propensity- that is then worsened by the repetitive motion, and by some type of mechanics that are used- a "perfect storm" if you will. The MOST important thing is to be aware of it as an entity, so that if your DD has complaints that suggest this as a possibility- you get appropriate help.

Either way- pitchers are clearly at increased risk for rotator cuff, shoulder arthritis, tendon issues etc that could create life-long issues from over use- than this entity- These things can impact their QOL as they get older- and I agree with several of the posts that discuss self-imposing (meaning parents taking the reins here!) their DD's innings - at least while they are going through their growth phase and early teens

Last edited:
May 7, 2008
Tucson
Yep. And she continued to pitch afterwards and still does. Although, in my opinion only, she just can't get the job done any more at a major D1. All of those wins at 12,14,16 are meaningless to me when her health was so adversely affected.

Jul 26, 2010
She hasn't been successful since she's made an attempt to be legal. I'm not saying the cheating had anything to do with the injury though.

-W

May 4, 2009
Baltimore
By the same token, that same form has also given her great success in her chosen field.

What price glory?

Ok, she got a scholarship out of it. The form didn't get it for her, natural ability overrode the lack of form. Many college pitchers get scholarships but few come out of it with the trauma she had.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OAFSoftballMom#1