Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 15, 2011
I help coach a 10u team.we are playing our last tourney and in the semis vs a strong team.we are beating them 5-0(we are in a level that has a 5 run limit).the other team is batting in the bottom of the 5th and they have 2 outs and 2 runners on base. The clock is down to 1 minute left and he told his runner to leave base early to get another innings in. I went by the dugout and made a comment that that was busch league.temps were 102 degrees too.we win though.in the championship game it is the same scenario but we are losing 6-1 with 2 outs bottom of 5 th and 1 minute left.I look over to the head coach and he looks at me and I just shake my head and smile.the clock runs out and I told him id rather lose the right way than win the wrong way.

Jan 27, 2010
NJ
I don't necessarily disagree with the reasoning but it's not about you and the clock is UNFORTUNATELY part of the game. Would you not send a kid on a pass ball? Use the rules to your benefit. I'm not a fan of the stall but understand it is part of the game and the rules apply equally to both sides.

Jun 15, 2011
Never said its about me.I was thinking bout the players and maybe my thinking is wrong but if you need the clock to win you a game there is something wrong.mine you I could've went out and talk to the pitcher tileeee ether clock ran out but choose not too.I maybe could see it if it was a 1 run game

Apr 6, 2012
First, how can you be sure at 10 U the kid didn't leave early by accident? Second, it was 102 for both teams and his kids had to stay out there in that heat as well. Third, it's "bush" league, not "Busch" unless you were playing a team sponsored by Budweiser. As to using the clock to win a game, it is a part of it, just like using any rule to win a game. Time to grow up and get over it or your years at the older levels are going to be very painful.

Jun 15, 2011
1. The coach was screaming at the girl to leave early.2. Thanks for correcting my spelling.3. Any time i spend with my daughter on the field will be treasured and i wouldnt categorize it as painful.4. I believe it ruins the integrity of the game and i wouldnt do something like that no matter what age.thanks for your responses.

Apr 6, 2012
Good, you should enjoy your time with your kid and not let stuff like this get to you. It flies by and before you know it, she is in college.

Aug 5, 2009
Bordentown, NJ
Never said its about me.I was thinking bout the players and maybe my thinking is wrong but if you need the clock to win you a game there is something wrong

I get the irony in your original post, in that you found yourself in the same situation as you previous opponent had been in. Karma indeed.

With that said, I think the comment above kinda contradicts your own original logic
What I get from your story, is that the opposing coach wasn't "using the clock to win", it can be argued that he was taking the clock out of the game, and making sure the game was going to be decided by the girls... On the field, the way it should be.

Personally, I'd put his move in a different category than purposely stalling in order to run out the clock

Just my .02

Jul 9, 2009
IL
.4. I believe it ruins the integrity of the game and i wouldnt do something like that no matter what age.

While the clock isn't a factor in high school, college and the professional game, it is part of most travel/select games in softball.

Like it or not, the game is being timed for a reason and therefore becomes part of the game.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd