JV Coach

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 3, 2012
Hi to all! I'm new to the board, but I have been reading it for a while before signing up.
Ok here's the scenario for dd's first year of school ball, in travel dd is a strong player, plays ss, 2nd and center, hits very well. Last fall her travel team split up after the other teams tryouts were done so she was asked to play the fall season for a new team that was just starting, the team was made up of mostly pick up players. After the last game in the fall dd decided that she wasn't going to stay with this team and let the coach know. Now flash forward to school ball, half way through tryouts it was announced the that dd's fall ball coach would be coaching the jv team which is a young team mostly middle schoolers with 6 out of 12 with any travel expieriance. Well after tryouts were over and the varsity and jv split the new coach started trying to recruit players from the school team for his travel team. DD spends most of the time during fielding drills waiting at the fence to rotate in for her turn, when dd makes a throw and it's not caught by whoever she was throwing it to whether it was a perfect throw or not, dd has to run laps while other players do not. The coach is very short with dd and anytime dd trys to ask a question. At there 1st game dd played 1 inning, got one at bat, which she did hit for a double then was taken out for a player who the coach recruited for his travel team that is far less of a player. My wife and I are constantly ask why dd is being treated the way she is by other parents so they are seeing it also. Dd is very discouraged after practices and has already decided that if this coach is going to coach the jv next year she will not play school ball. I believe the coach is holding a grudge against dd for leaving his travel team. How should I handle this?
Thanks, Dadof18

Last edited:
Mar 3, 2012
It is a public school, players are allowed to tryout in the 7th grade. He was let go as the jv coach for the same school 4 or 5 years ago but no one seems to know why.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
If you cannot talk with the JV coach, I would take it on to the Athletic Director. I would even consider taking your daughter with you when you meet with them.

Agree, but would definitely take the DD with you to talk to the JV coach and the AD.

Aug 10, 2010
Go to Athletic Director and explain the situation. I see a huge conflict of interest here kinda the same way you do not see any travel ball coaches that are college coaches.. I know there is a rule on that, but none that I know of in high school. If the Athletic Director is no help, go to the school board. At least where I'm from, central pa, the school board does the hiring and firing...good luck

Feb 27, 2011
SC
Understand this is happening to some degree all over the country, for various reasons. Keep quiet, dont be labeled a trouble maker, and understand school ball doesnt matter. At the end of the day, if she is as good as you say, she will play. Tell her to hit- hit- hit when given a chance, and by the end of the season things will work out.
At the end of the day if you cant take it anymore then go complain but understand the risks may outweigh the potential benefits.

Aug 10, 2010
RAZMATAZ--Not sure what you are teaching when saying to stay quiet. The only thing that will change when you stay quiet is NOTHING, and the player will continue to have problems. I would argue that School ball, particularly high school and jv, is as important as travel ball, but to varying degrees. AGAIN, I would stress going to the Athletic Director/School Board if things do not change after speaking to the coach about your valid issues. As in running laps, I have no problem with that if laps are handed out fairly across the board. Laps give a player time to think about what was not done to a coaches standard or his rules, and helps a player either stay or get into shape. There are plenty of other "Punishments" handed out that are far more serious than laps...

Mar 3, 2012
Thanks for all the replies and suggestions. I will be talking with Ad and the coach as soon as they can both meet with me and dd.
Thanks

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
Laps as punishment are a waste of time. They take too long to execute -- time that could be better-spent on skills. They also don't relate well to our sport. If anything, I would use sprints which at least have a physical benefit.

But the larger question is whether it's right to use either or something else as punishment. I personally don't think so. When you threaten punishment, especially for things like errors or strikeouts you create a culture of trying not to lose instead of trying to win. You get compliance, not excellence.

Not to say you can't use sprints, pushups, situps, etc. as incentives or consequences to simulate game pressure or up the focus level when needed. To me that's a positive use. But in that case you have to do it evenly and fairly, with the consequences spelled out and the goals clearly understood. In the case of the original poster it sounds like arbitrary punishment.

You may have a clue as to why this coach was dismissed the last time.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
My DD has played two years of middle school ball and what I have found is that her TB team is much more competitive than her middle school team will EVER be! Therefore, I view school ball as 'fun' and TB as 'serious'. I would bet that 80%+ of girls who receive softball scholarships are 'discovered' playing TB vs. school ball.......therefore, I would tell the JV coach that he needs to stop treating your DD unfairly! You may also ask the varsity coach for advice, since he/she has a 'vested interest' in keeping kids on the JV squad happy since they are the 'feeder program' for his varsity squad.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KittyGoneWild