JV Coach

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
If this can't be resolved - and I bet that it won't, I would move on. You have already discovered that the coach is just practicing for TB. There has to be a better way for your DD to spend her time. I would find a place for her to take private lessons and forget a coach that mistreats your DD.

Mar 3, 2012
I have no problem with dd not playing school ball, however she does, she is a multi-sport athlete. As far as running laps, I have no problem with that as long as it is evenly aplied with the rest of the players. As much as DD loves fastpitch she has already told her mom and me that if this coach is still there next year she will not play. Yes travel is much more competitive than school ball but DD's travel team is not playing until school ball is over, she wants to be on the field playing whenever she can. If a solution to this isn't found, I will have to pull her from the team myself because she will not quit on her own due to her own values.

Jul 17, 2008
Southern California
I have no problem with dd not playing school ball, however she does, she is a multi-sport athlete. As far as running laps, I have no problem with that as long as it is evenly aplied with the rest of the players. As much as DD loves fastpitch she has already told her mom and me that if this coach is still there next year she will not play. Yes travel is much more competitive than school ball but DD's travel team is not playing until school ball is over, she wants to be on the field playing whenever she can. If a solution to this isn't found, I will have to pull her from the team myself because she will not quit on her own due to her own values.

I hope a solution can be found but why make her quit if she is willing to stick it out with this jerk? I think it's a good learning experience. You arent always going to like the coach and if she is willing to play in spite of him I would be very proud of her!

Oct 22, 2009
PA
I've never seen a coach at any level that is able to treat every player equally and without some bias, for whatever reason. Even good coaches do it to some degree whether they know it or not. Whether it is fair or not, a previous decision your DD made now affects her current situation. There is something important your DD (and you) can learn from this, as this will not be the last time something like this ever happens to her in softball, school, or later in life. It sounds like your DD is handling this so far, and you need to learn that not everything that affects your DD can be fixed by you. It sounds like quitting at this point does not feel right, but if the situation cannot be resolved, Amy is right and you need to move on.

Of course, there is the evil side of me that would love to see this jerk get his. Doesn't he realize that recruiting your DD's teammates to his TB team while mistreating a former player is only going to raise red flags to those who are paying attention? Sometimes you need to point those things out to people who need that made clear to them.

Mar 3, 2012
I understand that while I can't fix all the things that go wrong in DD's life but when she comes home after a practice or a game all most in tears it is all I can do not to try to. I have learned that other parents who have DD's on the jv team have other issues with this same coach. And already have set the wheels in motion with the AD and the Varsity coach which the Jv coach answers to, so maybe this will take care of itself. They have games every night of the week this week so I will not be able to speak the Varsity coach and the AD this week. I learned a long time ago not to approach a coach until the day after a game due to possible high emotions, and will do the same in this situation if at all possible.

Mar 3, 2012
Update: Something definately has changed the coaches attitude, he has been playing veteran players as they should be played, DD has not had any issues with him. From what I have been told all of the players on the team are satisfied with the positions and the treatment the are getting during games and practice. I don't know if someone else voiced their problems or concerns but something happened, it's like their a differant team.DD has stepped her game up as well, 2 triples, 5 doubles, 1 single, 1 walk and 2 put outs and 0 k's for the season so far she's having a good year.
Dadof18

Jan 6, 2009
Texas
We had almost the same situation but thank God, it was in basketball. DD1 played on a good BB travel team and the team consistenly won tournaments, my dd would pretty regularly win tournament MVP , cool. There were two girls on the team whose parents were convinced would be point guards when they got to high school - and life was good. However, there was a slight problem in that DD1 was the point guard on the travel team. They bring in a jackass basketball coach - who coached boys bb at the high school - within two weeks of him taking over and DD1 being a tournament mvp , she went from point guard to guarding the pine. Life goes on, we figured well, high school will be better. As the stars were alighned, head JIC (jackass in charge) got kicked out of coaching boys because he and the head coach of the high school team disagreed about his untalented son. So - guess what job he got next - head basketball girls coach. So daughter switched to softball and track - the high school bb team barely made the playoffs - and no one from the baskeball team played any level of college ball.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
DonnieS - I am not sure how things work in basketball, but in softball I bet that 90+% of the girls who get college scholarships do it through their TB team. I would bet there are more college recuiters at an AAU basketball tournament than there are at the high school games. That is why I don't get all bunged up over the JV or HS softball coach....yes, they could help my DD get a scholarship, but if they do not help we are not SOL.....there are other options/avenues! Good luck to your DD!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi