Jayleen - 15yo

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 20, 2020
SW Missouri
Long story short. We’ve been busier as a family than we’ve ever been before. Getting video of Jayleen has been difficult with all the running around. She’s been attempting to correct the issues but admittedly not working at it as much as I’d prefer at home.

Videos..... I have some from a couple previous tournaments, but her hitting had been more of the same. The two below show some actual progress and were from this last weekend. They played a 16u B tournament. Pool play teams were atrocious, and we thought the weekend might be a waste of time. Then bracket happened and they saw actual B-level teams. The pitching and everything else was much much better.

Still plenty of work to be done. But the light bulb really came on for her after a lesson with a new hitting instructor yesterday. Great reputation locally. They even covered some upper half stuff with her arms/hands/posture. It was good. Quite a bit of educating her why the standing up was happening and what the fix was going to be. A lot of what I've seen/read on here, but am not knowledgeable enough to regurgitate. I had a few "oh that's what DFP means...." moments.

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2016
Long story short. We’ve been busier as a family than we’ve ever been before. Getting video of Jayleen has been difficult with all the running around. She’s been attempting to correct the issues but admittedly not working at it as much as I’d prefer at home.

Videos..... I have some from a couple previous tournaments, but her hitting had been more of the same. The two below show some actual progress and were from this last weekend. They played a 16u B tournament. Pool play teams were atrocious, and we thought the weekend might be a waste of time. Then bracket happened and they saw actual B-level teams. The pitching and everything else was much much better.

Still plenty of work to be done. But the light bulb really came on for her after a lesson with a new hitting instructor yesterday. Great reputation locally. They even covered some upper half stuff with her arms/hands/posture. It was good. Quite a bit of educating her why the standing up was happening and what the fix was going to be. A lot of what I've seen/read on here, but am not knowledgeable enough to regurgitate. I had a few "oh that's what DFP means...." moments.

Getting an error when I try to play the videos.

Was that Vortex team from OK?

Nov 20, 2020
SW Missouri
Getting an error when I try to play the videos.

Was that Vortex team from OK?

Weird. I had the videos as "unlisted" and used the share link. Which normally works for me on DFP. I've made them public. Did that change anything?

No, this team was "Lady Vortex" out of Jasper, MO. Which, isn't too far from the OK/KS borders. But I still had to look it up - ha.

Edit: I re-pasted the links, I think they should work now.

Apr 2, 2015
Woodstock, man
She looks really good at toe touch

But here she is at contact and something has gone wrong.
1. the bat head has not advanced past the hands (it's behind her hands, the broken orange line should be straight)
2. she had to push both biceps away from her body in order to make contact

So, she has lost some leverage and has bat drag somewhere in the swing. So where is it?

dfp-2023-0607-1-0.00.jpg

This is from toe touch to hip slot, and this is where the bat drag or loss of leverage happens.

Notice, at the start, her hands push backwards and away from the armpit/shoulder. This is bad, they should stay at the armpit.

Notice then she pushes her hands down toward the plate and away from the armpit. This is also bad. The hands must stay near the armpit from toe touch to hip slot. Only then should the hands push towards the ball.

dfp--2023-0607.gif

Save your money on instructors, they don't know how to fix this., and you can do it yourself free and in a few days.
Do some dry drills from toe touch to hip slot.
1. Drive the back elbow down in unison with the bat head
2. Keep the hands near the armpit until the upper arm is vertical.

That's it. Home runs will commence.

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2014
South Cali

Sequence looks great.

She looks stuck. Try to keep the swing above the chest. IOWs swing down. Don’t stay inside the ball. Stay on top.

Nov 20, 2020
SW Missouri
She looks really good at toe touch

But here she is at contact and something has gone wrong.
1. the bat head has not advanced past the hands (it's behind her hands, the broken orange line should be straight)
2. she had to push both biceps away from her body in order to make contact

So, she has lost some leverage and has bat drag somewhere in the swing. So where is it?

View attachment 28108

This is from toe touch to hip slot, and this is where the bat drag or loss of leverage happens.

Notice, at the start, her hands push backwards and away from the armpit/shoulder. This is bad, they should stay at the armpit.

Notice then she pushes her hands down toward the plate and away from the armpit. This is also bad. The hands must stay near the armpit from toe touch to hip slot. Only then should the hands push towards the ball.

View attachment 28109

Save your money on instructors, they don't know how to fix this., and you can do it yourself free and in a few days.
Do some dry drills from toe touch to hip slot.
1. Drive the back elbow down in unison with the bat head
2. Keep the hands near the armpit until the upper arm is vertical.

That's it. Home runs will commence.

Thanks, this is great. I didn't convey this well in my post, but the lesson was more an evaluation of her current mechanics with some work on feel and how to fix mixed in. We had not taken her in to see anyone since Jan/Feb. I was happy with the return on the expense. But we have no plan to go in weekly. Never have been a fan of paying someone to have her practice. But I like the monthly check-ins to evaluate. She responds to the live interaction better as well rather than it coming from "Dad". Even if we're saying the same thing.

The short of it, is he expressed a lot of what you did here (almost point for point). Not trying to defend him or the expense. But rather that I'm happy to know what he saw/said aligns to what has been provided here. I do agree that paying weekly lessons to "fix" this is unnecessary. She now has the tools and information to work at home/in the cage and make the corrections. Now it's her just doing it (or making me force her to do it).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi