"It's up to my judgment and discretion"

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
Ajay, you might be technically right about calling UIC over, but I question protesting in this situation even if you are right. Either way you get a hitter up with 2 strikes and you make the PU look stupid in front of a lot of people. You can be sure at some place later in the tournament you'll an IP called or someone leaving early when it really matters.

On the OP, I'm not sure what the level of play is, but IMHO just let the kids get up to the plate and hit.

So, you jut let it go because you are afraid of a possible repercussion even though you are correct? If that's so, you have no complaint, now or later. You have now become part of the problem.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
So, you jut let it go because you are afraid of a possible repercussion even though you are correct? If that's so, you have no complaint, now or later. You have now become part of the problem.

One of the issues we have locally is the two people who are generally the UIC at tourneys are two of the worst umpires on the planet - and we tolerate this because them scheduling umpires and messing up the occasion protest (I have never seen them side with a team in the past 6+ years) is a billion times better than either of them ever taking the field and making any sort of call.

It is actually one of the few things I liked about LL Tournament play - the fact that umpires are required to make a call to Regional Headquarters for rules clarifications at a mangers request (not judgement calls) and that they staffed these phones to make these binding rulings.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
One of the issues we have locally is the two people who are generally the UIC at tourneys are two of the worst umpires on the planet - and we tolerate this because them scheduling umpires and messing up the occasion protest (I have never seen them side with a team in the past 6+ years) is a billion times better than either of them ever taking the field and making any sort of call.

Interesting, but you are paying the freight and shouldn't have to "tolerate" anything that is truly wrong. I'm not saying teams should have the selection of umpires they prefer, but a team/coach should never fear making a valid protest no matter who it is on the field or the UIC.

I've always taught umpires that if someone wants to protest, say fine, sign the book, call the UIC or whatever the procedure may be at that point. Worst case scenario for the umpire is that s/he learns something and I will guarantee they will never make that mistake again, assuming they want to improve their game.

As umpires, like coaches and players, we joke about certain situations and, like coaches and players, there are some embellishments, but any umpire worth a damn will never make a call driven by resentment or retaliation. If they do, they shouldn't be on the field.

It is actually one of the few things I liked about LL Tournament play - the fact that umpires are required to make a call to Regional Headquarters for rules clarifications at a mangers request (not judgement calls) and that they staffed these phones to make these binding rulings.

I don't necessarily agree with that. It's always good to have a support staff, but too often things are not communicated well over the phone as it totally relies on who is telling the story and what they believe to be relevant. It is often hard enough to get all the details on the field with everyone standing there, I can only imagine what it would be like over the phone.

Mar 29, 2012
No there is no such rule.

The Ump does not have to give time however which would essentially prevent the switching sides.

Dec 12, 2012
On the bucket
And - since the OP doesn't say otherwise - the batter has already looked at 2 strike, one from each side of the plate. HC looks to be really micromanaging at this point IMHO.

Maybe or maybe not, but should that matter at all?

Personally, I don't see the point unless he is trying to rattle the pitcher, but again what I think doesn't matter if he can do it within the rules.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Southpaw32