It's a process, enjoy the journey.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 12, 2015
I had to learn the enjoy part the haRd way. DD at 11-12 got out of pitching for no other reason than me and my driving her like I was pushed. She did not respond well to it. She would come in from pitching practice at home in tears and I with blood vessels popping out. We got back in it @ 14 with an adjusted attitude from me and a good PC. Now lessons are fun and we joke and cut up in the basement. The 45 minute ride to and from lessons is when we talk SB, boys, politics, and life in general and it is great.

My DD much prefers practicing with me than with her dad. And my older one won't let him tell her ANYthing. He's too serious and he gets all mad if they aren't listening well. I'm more loose about it and fun. They can't tell how much time I spend obsessively reading about drills and things ;) I hide it well.

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
If I recall correctly, another notable pitcher was told at 12U that she would never do well in the game. Her name is Amanda Scarborough.
DD has a book written by J Finch.... similar story. Old coach said she wasn't good enough, worked hard, pitched against her old team and destroyed them etc...

Jan 20, 2011
If I recall correctly, another notable pitcher was told at 12U that she would never do well in the game. Her name is Amanda Scarborough.

Love the turns threads take.

Ever heard of Tall Poppy Syndrome?

I heard it from a Kiwi who used it to describe the grumbling you hear from those on the wrong end of a winning performance.

When poppies grow in the field, most grow uniformly. Once in a while, one will pop up and grow at it's own accelerated rate. Rather than leave the anomaly to mature at it's own pace, the farmer chops it's head off for the sake of uniformity of the crop.

Point: every pitcher from the 12u stud beginning to pull away from the pack to the 28 yr old NPF veteran has a tall poppy story -- probably several.

Jealous teammate, cross town rival HS coach, a TB Coach sandbagging a rival player to a college. PC quietly discrediting The aptitude of another PC's student. Little digs masked as a constructive (wink)criticism.

Most seemingly harmless and done with a smile but often fueled by an insecurity that someone's breaking free from the uniformity of the field and they are not.

One of the lessons of the process is to remain focused and clear about nurturing your poppy without chopping the head off of another's.

I've heard A.S.'s stories first hand. Great but not unique by a long shot. What IS unique was her ability to succeed in spite as well as because of input received growing up. Most don't.

Thanks for the input. Interesting stuff

L

Feb 7, 2013
While I agree many players are told they will never be a good pitcher, etc. but some of the names thrown out there like Jennie Finch, Cat Osterman, and Monica Abbott grew to the height of 6'0"; 6'2", and 6'3" respectively which also had a great deal to do with their later dominance in the circle (and the last two are lefties which is also an advantage).

May 30, 2013
Binghamton, NY
While I agree many players are told they will never be a good pitcher, etc. but some of the names thrown out there like Jennie Finch, Cat Osterman, and Monica Abbott grew to the height of 6'0"; 6'2", and 6'3" respectively which also had a great deal to do with their later dominance in the circle (and the last two are lefties which is also an advantage).

Which makes Scarborough an even greater anomaly, I suppose?

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina

Good point. When hearing all the inspiring stories, I've been tempted more than once to say that sometimes the critics will be right and you won't amount to much. That doesn't mean the advice isn't still good - 'enjoy the ride.'

Last edited:
Jun 18, 2010
success_zpsrofx2yfq.jpg

Apr 24, 2014
Jennie was a pretty dominant pitcher from early ages according to her bio. Every one is different

Feb 17, 2014
This is a great thread. I have these types of conversations with another softball dad all the time. He doesn't believe a player can develop into a good pitcher. He believes you are or you aren't.

He ignores the SP for the 2 local HS. Both of them have committed to D1 schools, one of them to a major D1 program. When both of these girls were 10,11,12,13 they weren't top level pitchers. They were the #3-4 pitchers on their teams. They wanted to be pitchers so they kept working hard and by 2nd year 14u they were starting to get noticed. One even lead her HS team to the state championship game as a freshman.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
salgonzalez