Is this right?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 14, 2013
So my DD is learning to catch. I do not have a ton of extra money after the team and batting lessons right now so until she can tell me this is a firm thing I am trying to teach her what I know and learn from here and other places. Recently, my AC tells me I need to fix her stance behind the plate. He tells me it makes him hurt looking at her and that it is not right. I have not said anything in return. So now.....I put it in your hands. What, if anything, do I need to change?
View attachment 4972
Taking signals
View attachment 4973View attachment 4974
View attachment 4975
Taking signals

If you are in the Detroit Michigan Area, I run a weekly catching session for a few baseball catchers and a few softball catchers. We do 60-90 sessions. Just started working on proper stance and receiving. Blocking, fielding and throwing to come. The would be no cost, our organization owns the facility.

Aug 24, 2011
Thanks Flipper14. As you can see in pic 1 she is on toes and in primary position. I pick two she is not and has heels down and toes down the line. In pic three she has one heel up as she is reaching to glove the 1st base side pitch off the plate. I an aggravated too by the comments but feel she is doing well for 4 months experience.

She is doing well. Other than a sign giving stance, I challenge people to find photos of professional baseball catchers who are up on their toes. I'm not saying that you have all of your weight on your heels but if you are trying to get your body behind the ball it's awfully difficult to do if you are up on your toes.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Attending the NECC camp is one of the best things you can do for her. I recommend that you ALSO get the DVD. If you can get it before the camp, it will give you a head-start on the things being taught. Afterwards, it can serve as a refresher for the lessons.

Feb 15, 2013
Delaware
First i would suggest you find a different team (half joking/half serious) The AC seems to know as much as my wife about catching lol. Joking aside, the NECC DVD is a great starting point for any aspiring catcher and the drills in the DVD are taught at Mizzou to there catchers. My DD attended a camp with there AC Pete D'Amour and they teach all 3 stances and he tells parents and coaches at the camp the only time they are on their toes is during sign giving. No runners on, he likes them in a deep squat with the but almost on the ground (no reason to block) Runners on or 2 strike count, you're up with thighs parallel to the ground so you can block a potential 3rd strike or throw the runner out if needed. The only thing that varies is hand placement, my DD learned from the DVD and catches with the hand behind the glove now, where as the other girls ages 12-18 were lost on hand placement during this camp. My DD's stances were good enough for a coach of a Top 25 program to not have to correct her, my point? They are painful to me because i can't get in those positions anymore while she laughs at me.

sru

Jun 20, 2008
Some find success with a slightly wider stance, on the balls of the feet. This makes the lateral movement quicker and more fluent. She's off to a great start!

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Some find success with a slightly wider stance, on the balls of the feet. This makes the lateral movement quicker and more fluent. She's off to a great start!

Being balanced on the balls of the feet means the base is less stable. Feet flat on the ground gives a lot more stability, and (IMO) doesn't hinder side-to-side mobility.

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
I absolutely agree with you investing in the New England Catching Camp dvd. Its only $40 and its amazing how much detail he puts into it!

sru

Jun 20, 2008
Being balanced on the balls of the feet means the base is less stable. Feet flat on the ground gives a lot more stability, and (IMO) doesn't hinder side-to-side mobility.

I disagree. Catchers can get caught "flat footed". Mobility is key for a catcher, being on the balls of the feet will allow quickness and agility

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dadmad