Is this pitch legal?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
I don't see anything illegal.

Was the ump calling it because your DD slides her foot on the rubber?

It is illegal. It is called a 'Hop' or somtimes a 'Skip' in my area. it uis not a crow hop but it does establish a second point of impetus, or a send pivot point.

She has zero forward lean at push off from the rubber and she is standing tall 100% of the time. She stands a good chance of developing lower back problems before too long. Does her lower back hurt after the game now?

Hal

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
Could she be pushing again when that drag foot lands, looks to me lilke slightly. Certainly not as much as I have quite commonly seen.

Jan 27, 2010
A crowhop ocurs when the pitcher pushs off after replanting the pivot foot I see her her hip closing and dragging the foot, not a second push from her pivot foot. Slugger is right about closing the hips too soon and too much.Hillhouse is also right about her arm circle.

Jun 22, 2008
By definition, a crow hop happens prior to the hands seperating and the pitcher moves the pivot foot forward to a new starting spot. The pitcher in these videos has already seperated hands, so it cant be a "crow hop", but it can be a leap and replant. As indicated by others, the toe is not pointing down, foot is sideways and is being replanted prior to the release of the pitch.

May 7, 2008
Tucson

I can't post pictures very well. If this posts, I feel that the ball should be up at the pony tail by now.

OK, apparently you can click on it.

I need a tutor for pictures.

Dec 12, 2009
CT
A crowhop ocurs when the pitcher pushs off after replanting the pivot foot I see her her hip closing and dragging the foot, not a second push from her pivot foot. Slugger is right about closing the hips too soon and too much.Hillhouse is also right about her arm circle.

If you watch her pivot foot closely, you can definitely see it come forward, pause, and then come forward again. IMO you cannot physically do that without replanting, and pushing off again, even if only slightly. I think a fair number of umpires will call that. Best to correct it now before it becomes more pronounced.

Mar 13, 2010
Illegal. Three is a replant, especially in first video at :20sec & :28 sec. mark...you can see where the pivot foot leg is stil bent and besring weight, and the front le is still going uo. The rear leg bend and still bearing weight after the initial push from the rubber) is a sure sign that she's about to push again...which os a replant.
That said, it's tough to see in real time. The umpiring crew did a good job in recognizing the IP and calling it..