Is this pitch legal?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 11, 2009
Georgia
Please look at this quick video of my DD and let me know if you see a crowhop or other illegality. We were in the first ASA qualifier last weekend and she got dinged a few times with the IP call. We made a few adjustments and I need some feedback.

YouTube - 100_2875.mov

Thanks!!

TG

Last edited:

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
1) She is close to crow-hopping. Although it isn't a crow hop, I could see why an ump might call it, especially if she ended up with some air under her drag foot.
2) Who is telling her that "the biggest way to get power is through hips and arm speed"? That isn't correct.

Oct 22, 2009
1) She is close to crow-hopping. Although it isn't a crow hop, I could see why an ump might call it, especially if she ended up with some air under her drag foot.
2) Who is telling her that "the biggest way to get power is through hips and arm speed"? That isn't correct.

Actually he said "Arm spin" ??? I'm assuming he meant "speed".

She does look like she is getting a tiny bit of air under her foot.

Jul 11, 2009
Georgia
Hi Sluggers,

LOL...I had not heard the sound when I uploaded the clip...it is me...the amateur Dad pitching coach. I was trying to get her to throw hard to see if she would crowhop. What is she doing wrong and how can we make it better?

Thanks!!

Last edited:
Dec 12, 2009
CT
Don't see any air under her foot, but she does seem to have a slight re-plant and push off with her drag foot. It evens seems like there is a slight depression in the dirt in front of where the re-plant occurs. I'm guessing that is what she is getting called on.

Jan 27, 2010
Your DD may be losing contact, but she is allowed the plane of the ground. It appears that the ground where the plant takes place is a little higher than the area of push off in the video.IMO, if the video is indicative of what she was doing in the tournament, the ump should have never made an IP call. She is not crowhopping. She could possibly be called for leaping, but that would be a stretch and depend on the level plane of the ground in front of the rubber.Her hip closing is dragging the foot, not a replant with her pivot foot.

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2008
I cant do a screen capture, but if you pause the video on several of the pitches she has replanted her left foot. On the first pitch the ball of her left foot is clearly replanted a good 1- 1 1/2 feet in front of the plate with her arm still in the 11 oclock position.

Aug 21, 2008
By definition, she is crowhopping. While it's not one of the more blatant ones, it's there. Her toe does not stay pointed to the ground, it actually turns sideways. Since she is a lefty, her toes turn towards 1st base. Her arm "hitch" is at 12:00.

Remember, crowhops happen because of the HANDS, not the feet. If you stop her arm from hitching at 12:00 and she makes a full, fluid arm circle, her feet will not have a chance to crowhop. Everyone that crowhops has a hitch SOMEWHERE in the arm circle. Smoothen out the armcircle and you'll eliminate the crow hop. Remind her to keep her shoe laces pointed towards the catcher too, this will eliminate the foot going sideways which is the tell tale sign of a crow hopper.

99.99% of crowhoppers get sore in their front shoulder. This is caused by the "hitch" where the arm stops and muscle is used to force the arm around. It creates soreness. I'm willing to bet she gets sore in her front shoulder.

Bill

Jul 11, 2009
Georgia
She was lifting and replanting on the pump in the tournament. We added the rightward slide and pre turn of the pivot foot as a correction yesterday. The film was taken during the first session with the correction. I will try and get some more film today from another angle.

Jul 11, 2009
Georgia
The pitching coach told us to turn the foot sideways and drag on the inner front corner of the pivot foot. I also see a lot of other pitchers do it. So you are saying the foot should stay straight pointed at home plate and leave the toe down and drag straight over?

Thx!!

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Go_Ask_Mom