is there such a thing as too much?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 29, 2019
We are on pace to hit about 80 games this season.

It's about as much as I can handle.

I've started splitting time with the wife and sharing rides with team mates to tournaments. I think Myself, the wife, the DD, and my yard like me being less involved with softball.

Before this season I didn't miss a game.

The DD would like more softball. She asked me to add an additional hitting lesson a week yesterday. Until she says it's to much... it's not to much.

May 6, 2015
NJ (USSSA) and Myrtle Beach.

scheduled to play every weekend between now and mid july other than memorial day. Mothers day WE is only Saturday thankfully.

DD would definitely like a couple of breaks in there, in order to . . . be a teenager.

Aug 29, 2016
This sounds about the same as what we were doing in 14U, although with softball being a spring sport, we did not do anything travel ball related from March - May. 4hr practices 3 days/wk. We've always done some league play, but very minimal. We would usually have 1 weekend off from 2nd weekend in June through when next season begins in early Aug. We were always about the same with 3 pitchers and a couple catchers. In the early years our roster sizes were only 10-11. Some teams practiced more or less and traveled more or less. usually 3-4 out of state tourneys each season. It's a lot, but we tried to leave it up to her goals and her level of committment. As long as I'm not having to push, I'm happy to go along with it. Been a great ride. We go to all the games, but happy not to have to drive to in season practice or off season training anymore.

Oct 4, 2018
Absolutely.

I love the sport, love watching my girls.

But it's gotten insane. They don't need to play 7 games in one day and be playing from 7:00 AM until past midnight. They don't need to be playing every weekend.

Aug 27, 2019
Lakewood CA.
If it’s too much for DD she will let me know. As of now she can’t get enough. I attend most games but don’t stress out if I miss one here and there. DD #2 plays club soccer so we are busy on weekends.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

May 21, 2015
South
I believe more than 2 weekends in a row is too much. Most tournaments get played despite the weather. I remember my daughter (10U) playing at 2 am one Saturday night when rain was forecast for Sunday. Tournament directors do not want to have to refund the fees. Girls need breaks during the year to rest arms and actually come back from a break better.

Nov 8, 2020
What state and nationals?
BINGO!!!!!

Though I've never heard of state championship tournaments what Nationals are they going to? PGF or Alliance? Not sure if any other ones matter, or are even "national" IDT maybe or Sparkler Jr Power Pool

In 2018/19, by the time PGF was over, the kids 14U team had played in over 130 games. Playing in D9, TCS and PGF showcases and in tournaments like PGF Nationals, IDT, 1st to 3rd, TCS... they had 4 pitchers, never played more than 4 games in a day and we never felt like the girls were ever over extended.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Mar 8, 2016
The answer to your question is different for every girl. At that age DD played an average of 100 games per year including spring and fall seasons. It didn't change much at the older ages except around 25 of games were now HS games. DD is now in college. I asked her as we neared the end of her travel ball career if she had any regrets about all the missed parties, sleep overs, etc. She said no. One of my greatest fears all along was that she would look back and regret all the time she has put into softball. Luckily she did not. She had teammates that dropped out along the way because they no longer wanted softball to be the center of their universe. Some of these were very good players and close friends. She is still 18u eligible and is planning on playing this summer with her old travel ball team.

Mar 6, 2016
Good God that's a ton of games and time spent on one sport. My DD plays both softball and basketball and there is no way she could dedicate that much time to softball. To me it's too much focus and time and $$. But, each kid and family have their own outlook. My oldest did all that from 10-14 and just got burnt out. Lost her love of the game. Wanted to be just a "regular" teenager and hang out with friends at beach , work, etc. Sucks, because I loved watching her play...just more than she loved playing.

My youngest I think saw all that and learned that she doesn't want to spend all of her weekends only doing softball. She wants breaks now and then and to play basketball as well. If current TB coach 12u now...soon to be 14u "demands" that she be at ALL tournaments, practices, etc and not have time to play bball...she'll say forget it and find another team.

Some kids who LOVE the sport or any sport will want more and more...some kids that really like 2 sports or more can't dedicate all their time to just one and coaches need to understand that and be more flexible.

May 6, 2015
HC is very understadning about missing practices for her other winter sport (which because of COVD pauses is only ending this week), as well as other girls missing practices and games for their winter sports, even told her he does not care if she misses league games for her privates once they start (team really is using them as practice).

we will see how much we lose to rain.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sarahjackson13