is there such a thing as a mlb hitting instructor cetification?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 22, 2010
They have hitting coaches, and some orgs used to have roving instructors, who generally worked more in the minors than the majors - they may still have those.

But I think if you took a kid who just made it to the bigs, and said to him, "Here, meet Big Jim Farnswoggle, he washed out of the majors after a hundred at bats with Seattle and Toronto, he's your hitting instructor," you'd probably end up with a bat in a place that was never meant to be a bat rack. :D

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
I think his question is whether MLB has some sort of certification that a coach can get.

Slightly on a tangent here, but I find it funny that you'll often hear fans say that a hitting coach should be fired. In Atlanta, they complain that Greg Walker couldn't 'fix' Dan Uggla or BJ Upton. If there was a hitting coach who could've made Dan Uggla or BJ Upton hit .270 with 30 HR apiece last season, how much would he be worth on the open market? $10 million/year? The salaries that MLB hitting coaches get are a testament to what MLB teams believe can be done for a hitter once he reaches the major leagues. They can help, but only so much.

Left Hook

Banned
Sep 13, 2013
I'm not sure if there is... But this coach says he is certified by Mlb....i have never heard of that... I have heard of Epstein certification that is Supposed to be very good and we'll respected... I'm thinking several different instructors have their own cert program?

I'm pretty sure mlb didnt even have hitting coaches until the late seventies

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
There are a BOAT load of various certifications if you do a google search (pages and pages) but I have not found one directly linked to MLB. Doesn't mean it doesn't exist just that I've not run across it.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
I'm not sure if there is... But this coach says he is certified by Mlb....i have never heard of that... I have heard of Epstein certification that is Supposed to be very good and we'll respected... I'm thinking several different instructors have their own cert program?

I'm pretty sure mlb didnt even have hitting coaches until the late seventies

Why don't you send a PM to PC, some think he may be Martian Lunar Base aka MLB-certified.

Left Hook

Banned
Sep 13, 2013
Don't know who PC is, but anyway. I don't see Mlb certifying any one way of teaching hitting. There are too many schools of thought for mlb to do that. It doesn't make sense to me

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi